Requiem for Jack Kirby

bluesForBartok

I'm really digging this record. I've had it for a while and have only just really listened to it. The writing and playing is very good. It reminds me a bit of the Don Friedman recordings w/ Attila Zoller w/ a hint of Dolphy's Out To Lunch and some "downtown" Knitting Factory in there as well.

Here's the AMG review

I've seen Gregg Bendian play at the Bottom Line as the drummer with the Mahavishnu Project but here he plays vibes and he really swings.

Anybody else heard this one? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Edited by bluesForBartok

Of the Gregg Bendian/Nels Cline Interzone releases (that I have heard), I was always partial to the self titled Interzone. To me it is more listenable (i.e. more melody). I haven't listened to them in a long time, I'm glad you posted about it. I need to go back and listen to the recordings of theirs that I have.

How is Requiem for Jack Kirby?

I haven't heard Interzone... don't know why... because I love Requiem For Jack Kirby. Nathan from the Blue Note board turned me onto this the year it came out.

Question. The Interstellar Space album, that is a drum/guitar duet? Does anyone know? Thanks.

Yep.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...