Wes Montgomery / Live In Paris, 3/27/65

Jim R

The recent discussions about Montgomery's 1965 performance in Paris (brought about by the "complete" 2-disc release on the Definitive label) has brought into focus the fact that the discographical data for this material has always been a mess. The alternate titles for some of these songs was always a confusing thing, for example. Even a long-established and fairly in-depth website with pages devoted to Wes ( http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/wes3.htm fails to indicate that "Wes' Rhythm" is actually "Twisted Blues" (Adrian Ingram's book fails even worse to sort everything out in this regard). In addition, the actual LP and CD releases of this material have been a confusing/overlapping mess, but I'll leave that alone for now. Basically, I would just like to get a grip on exactly what was recorded on that date, and see everything clearly identified and labeled. I don't think this has been done, with the possible exception(s) of the formal printed discographies which I don't own. At any rate, I have some clarifications to offer, in addition to a couple of questions for anyone out there who may know the answers.

First of all, here is a look at the data as offered online by Jazzdisco.org:

Wes Montgomery Quintet

Johnny Griffin (ts -8/11) Harold Mabern (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Arthur Harper (b) Jimmy Lovelace (d)

"Theatre des Champs-Elysees", Paris, France, March 27, 1965

1. Four on Six _________________BYG [J] YX 4016/17

2. Wes' Rhythm (mof Twisted Blues)_____-

3. Impressions_______________________-

4. To When (mof To Wane)____________-

5. Mr. Walker (mof Jingles)_____________-

6. To Django (mof The Girl Next Door)____-

7. Here's That Rainy Day_______________-

8. 'Round About Midnight_______________-

9. Full House__________________Esoldun [F] FC 108

10. Blue 'n' Boogie____________________-

11. West Coast Blues_________________-

* Solitude (BYG [J] YX 4016/17)

* Wes Montgomery Live in Paris 1965 (Esoldun [F] FC 108)

As far as I know, these are all of the songs that have been released from this concert (if someone knows otherwise, please correct me).

Corrections:

1. Esoldun [F] FC 108 also included "Jingles" and "Twisted Blues" (of course, there were a number of other LP and CD releases of this material, but I'll leave that alone here as well).

2. "Blue And Boogie" and "West Coast Blues" have been issued previously as a combined track (the Definitive reissue combines them as well, I believe). The latter is not a complete performance, but used as a background behind the closing band introductions and amounts to a brief set-closer. Johnny Griffin does not play on "West Coast Blues", as was indicated above.

Questions:

1. I assume that "mof" equates with "aka", but what does "mof" stand for?

2. "To When (mof To Wane)", by Harold Mabern, was the only tune from this show that I had never had on a CD issue. Was this tune recorded before (or after) by Wes? By Mabern? Also, is the alias given here "To Wane" accurate? Is it supposed to be "To Wayne"? Any info on this one (or anything else regarding this topic) would be appreciated.

Appreciate your clarification of this date. Wish I could add more. I too don't understand what "mof" means, for example.

In any event I've owned the Japanese BYG double LP of this live date for many years and I hadn't been aware that additional tunes were performed until I saw your post. Wes' s version of "Impressions" is one I always put on the turntable whenever I have a guitar enthusiast in my home who wants to listen to "some good jazz guitar". It really cooks! :tup

Is the definitive "definitive" ?

As far as I know, their new 2-disc set is the first comprehensive issue of all this material, which I have to admit is cool. I don't own it, haven't seen it or heard it, and not sure I would buy it (I have all but one track- "to when"- on CD already, and don't really want to buy from that company).

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/wes3.htm

27/3/65 - Paris

3 releases:

"Impressions"

"Solitude"

"Live In Paris"

That site (which I already linked above) is a decent resource, but the info there is not always complete.

Those were the original LP releases, but there are other releases of this material, one of which is an Affinity CD titled ROUND MIDNIGHT, which contains everything from the "Solitude" album, plus "four on six" and "impressions". I held on to my "Impressions" LP, because "to when" never showed up on any of the CD releases I found.

So, anybody know anything more about "to when"? Is there another title for it? Other recordings? "To wane" just seems to have "error" written all over it...