Dolphy sightings on other people's sessions

DrJ

• 5 years later...

Thought I'd bump this thread with this one, is it worth checking out??? I presume this is a rip off of Sextet of Orchestra U.S.A.: Theatre Music of Kurt Weill, plus a few odds and ends, two of the last three tracks seem to be from "The Wonderful World of Jazz" by John Lewis.

Eric Dolphy/John Lewis: Play Kurt Weill.

41BQS1p6+hL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the blurb on it;

Product Description

Digitally remastered and expanded edition. The complete Mike Zwerin album presenting modern Jazz musicians playing the music of Kurt Weill. Eric Dolphy and John Lewis were the stars of half of this album (Dolphy died before the second session was scheduled in 1965). As a bonus, all of the other small group studio recordings by Dolphy and Lewis playing together. Originally issued in different conceptual albums which included music from several sessions and with many variations in personnel, the small group collaborations between Eric Dolphy and John Lewis have never been previously compiled on a single set. 13 tracks. Lonehill. 2008.

Track Listings

1. Alabama Song

2. Havana Song

3. As You Make Your Bed

4. Mack The Knife

5. Bilbao Song

6. Barbara Song

7. Pirate Jenny

8. Mack The Knife [Alternate Take]

9. Bilbao Song [Alternate Take]

10. Pirate Jenny [Alternate Take]

11. Stranger

12. Afternoon In Paris

13. Night Float

Eric Dolphy is also featured on the opening two tracks of a now out-ot-print album

'Surrounded' by Daniel Humair on the Flat&Sharp label. Dolphy plays his compositions

'Les' and 'Serene' in a concert recorded in Paris on May 18, 1964, just one month

before he died.

He was accompanied by Kenny Drew, Guy Pedersen and Humair. Dolphy was in top form

that day.

Other artists featured in the album which is made of unreleased live material are

Gerry Mulligan, Phil Woods, Martial Solal, Johnny Griffin, Tete Montoliu among others.

I have a European compilation of Daniel Humair that has Dolphy on some cuts which is probably these tunes. I bought the Chico Hamilton album Gongs East several years ago but I was pretty disappointed in not only Dolphy's influence but the whole program in general. It made me suspicious of the other Hamilton albums with him on it. I really like Dolphy's playing on Nothin' but the Blues but then I think the whole album is pretty great. As someone else mentioned, his playing on the Oliver Nelson albums is a lovely study of contrasts that really work. I think it's Dolphy's playing that keeps the album Stolen Moments so fresh in my mind even though I've heard it so much.