Byrd/Adams, Flanagan in Harper's Magazine

Haruki Murakami's story in the July issue of Harper's Magazine begins with fairly extended discussions of personal experiences he's had related to jazz music, specifically attending a Tommy Flanagan gig (at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA), and buying Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams albums. The story veers away from these topics pretty quickly, but it sounds like Murakami should be posting on Organissimo!

It is well known that Murakami is a big jazz fan. He has written two books, Portraits in Jazz Vol. 1 and 2, but unlike his wonderful novels, I don't believe these have been translated into English. Basically these are, as the titles suggest, brief portraits of a number of his favourite artists. A CD with the same title was released also. I read somewhere that he has an enormous jazz record/CD collection.

Well-known in Japan, perhaps.

Too bad the jazz volumes haven't been translated. Are they similar to British author Geoff Dyer's jazz reverie, But Beautiful? (Highly recommended, BTW, if you haven't read it yet.)

What's your favorite novel that HAS been translated into English, JohnJ?

I need to catch up on Murakami.

Edited by Kalo

To be honest I have only glanced at the jazz volumes as reading anything but fairly basic Kanji takes me forever and I don't have the patience.

Murakami is very popular in many countries and all of his novels are quickly translated into English and other languages, the most recent, 'Kafka on the Shore' was on the bestseller lists all over Europe. I read recently that he may already be the biggest ever selling Japanese author in the west.

I like all of his work, but my favourite may be 'A Wild Sheep Chase' for Murakami at his magic realist best. Murakami is a big Raymond Chandler fan and this novel is sometimes referred to as 'The Big Sheep'.