Weird electronics question

swear to god, i'm losing my mind............but should alarm clocks, surge protectors, and cordless phones not NATURALLY be a little warm to the touch? perfecly normal, right? help me settle a bet with a friend. he claims NO, i claim YES. anything powered by electricity gets warm in those cases..........like hard drives do, tv's etc. ask cats, they love warm tv's. electric alarm clocks even have tiny vents on em.............! HOT stuff or HOT cords, i agree, is bad juju............

Edited by pasta

exactly! my old pal matt argues that the alarm clock should NOT be warm. he can believe the phone battery getting warm, ditto the surge protector if there's a lot plugged into it.....................the alarm clock baffles him.

It's probably a cheapo alarm clock with a transformer on the inside. The transformer gets quite warm converting voltage. Other kinds of clocks, like those found in a radio, use a wall-box, or external transformer, on the cord that plugs into the wall.