Larry Coryell & Emily Remler Together

Brownian Motion

Does anyone here know for certain that these two were having a romantic fling when they recorded this wonderful duo album for Concord Jazz back in '85? All the evidence seems to indicate they were, from the tune selection ("Arubian Nights"!) to the possessive way Emily has draped herself over Larry on the cover shot.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Could we get an example of the "non-possessive" drape pose for guitarists? Herb Ellis & Barney Kessel?

I wouldn't want to get into the whole gossip, rumour, and innuendo area on this, but I think suggesting that tune selection is any kind of proof doesn't hold water - I mean, is every instance of any romantic ballad on an album evidence of this?

Mike

Could we get an example of the "non-possessive" drape pose for guitarists? Herb Ellis & Barney Kessel?

I wouldn't want to get into the whole gossip, rumour, and innuendo area on this, but I think suggesting that tune selection is any kind of proof doesn't hold water - I mean, is every instance of any romantic ballad on an album evidence of this?

Mike

I didn't say it was proof--I said it was evidence.

Here's the complete tune selection:

1. Arubian Nights

2. Joy Spring

3. Ill Wind

4. How My Heart Sings

5. Six Beats, Six Strings

6. Gerri's Blues

7. How Insensitive

I think my question is an interesting one because interplay between two evenly matched jazz improvisers who also happen to be in love is something of a rarity.

I think my question is an interesting one because  interplay between two evenly matched jazz improvisers who also happen to be in love is something of a rarity.

Let's see..how "evenly matched" they are might be a point of contention, but not really that much of a rarity.....

Marion/Jimmy McPartland

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin

Mike/Leni Stern

Randy Brecker/Eliane Elias (Marc Johnson/Eliane Elias)

Red Norvo/Mildred Bailey

Ray Brown/Ella Fitzgerald

Cindy Blackman/Wallace Roney

Renee Rosnes/Billy Drummond

These are the ones that first come to mind-I'm sure there are many more. Actually a good idea for a thread........... :)

Edited by Free For All

I think my question is an interesting one because  interplay between two evenly matched jazz improvisers who also happen to be in love is something of a rarity.

Let's see..how "evenly matched" they are might be a point of contention, but not really that much of a rarity.....

Marion/Jimmy McPartland

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin

Mike/Leni Stern

Randy Brecker/Eliane Elias (Marc Johnson/Eliane Elias)

Red Norvo/Mildred Bailey

Ray Brown/Ella Fitzgerald

Cindy Blackman/Wallace Roney

Renee Rosnes/Billy Drummond

These are the ones that first come to mind-I'm sure there are many more. Actually a good idea for a thread........... :)

Everything is a point of contention around here!

Married couples don't count. Especially "old marrieds".

I'm not getting what your criteria are - one would like to believe that people get married because they're in love (at least at that moment) and that's the "proven" list, but they're ruled out? One could imagine that "old marrieds" are even stronger proof of love, but they're out?

How about the recordings that John Hicks and Elise Woods made *before* they got married - are those OK?

Mike