Randy Brecker

mrjazzman

I have a new found appreciation for Randy Brecker. Just got home from Yoshi's Clifford Brown 75th Birthday Celebration. First night, Tuesday- I saw Randy Brecker play some kick ass trumpet tonight. Arturo Sandoval could not get out of Florida but will be here wed night. of the remaining three, Randy impressed me the most. Jeremy Pelt of course was the youngest of the three and has great potential but has to pay a few more dues. Valery Ponomarev was fabulous. and at 76 Benny Golson was as good as one can be at 76. was not all that impressed with the Mulgrew Miller trio but they were adequate. but again, imo Randy Brecker stole the show with his solos. looks like he's playing out of the side of his mouth, and looks like he's not even breathing, his delivery is effortless, the younger Pelt had more pyrotecnics and was into the higher register more that the others. played brownie covers. included in the program was a beautiful 4 song ballad medley by each one of the trumpet players and Miller(in Sandovals absense)gave Golson a photo of him, my dad Elmon Wright and Earl Bostic from a gig they did at the Hi Hat Club in Milwaukee in 1955. He said he and my daid were the best of friends and did everything together in the Bostic days. inbetween the songs, Golson made some very poignant

comments about brownie, said brownie made a lot of music that was never recorded, i'd better stop here..................

was not all that impressed with the Mulgrew Miller trio but they were adequate.

not challenging your comments at all but i believe this is the first time i've ever heard of mulgrew miller being "adequate"!! :(

just for MY ears, and i don't mind the challenge, the way you worded it, it's outright attacks(which come fast and easy on this forum)that i don't like..........

Edited by mrjazzman

Has anyone heard Randy's debut lp, "Score", from 1969? What do you think?

B0000658HE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think I want a jacket like that! :)

I got that CD several years ago, and only played it about 1 1/2 times. I was intrigued to hear Michael when he was a teenager, and I remember the overall sound of the recording was pretty harsh. Other than that, I'm afraid memory won't allow me to comment much further (although I guess that's a little bit of a comment right there...)