"Deep Purple in Rock" on CD

HWright

Recently, after reading Keith Shadwick's Led Zepplin book I got on a big hard rock kick and started listening to a lot of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. I found that Rhino, together with Warner Brothers, has put out excellent remastered editions of many of the classic Deep Purple albums (too bad they didn't give the same treatment to Black Sabbath, which only got a two-disc retrospective), but although the booklets refer to a Rhino/Warner edition of "Deep Purple in Rock" (they even give a serial number), I can't seem to find any evidence that it ever came out! It certainly doesn't appear to be something one can order anywhere.

There is a British EMI remaster which I picked up as an import (quite good), but I just wonder what prevented the Rhino version from coming out...

Anyone know anything about this?

Side bar: While on the topic of Deep Purple, I found an interesting jazz connection since apparently David Coverdale recommended Tommy Bolin as the replacement guitarist for Richie Blackmore on the basis of Bolin's performance on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" LP.

Edited by HWright

Side bar: While on the topic of Deep Purple, I found an interesting jazz connection since apparently David Coverdale recommended Tommy Bolin as the replacement guitarist for Richie Blackmore on the basis of Bolin's performance on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" LP.

Ian Paice must have listened to a bit of Jazz.

I don't have In Rock on CD. :blink:

Edited by 7/4

I found that Rhino, together with Warner Brothers, has put out excellent remastered editions of many of the classic Deep Purple albums (too bad they didn't give the same treatment to Black Sabbath, which only got a two-disc retrospective)

Actually, they did, but the remasters haven't been released individually, only as a box set:

Black Box

I found that Rhino, together with Warner Brothers, has put out excellent remastered editions of many of the classic Deep Purple albums (too bad they didn't give the same treatment to Black Sabbath, which only got a two-disc retrospective)

Actually, they did, but the remasters haven't been released individually, only as a box set:

Black Box

Dave:

Thanks for the link to the Sabbath Black Box. I wasn't aware of it.

Henry.

Edited by HWright

The Rhino reissues are exact duplicates of their UK counterparts, however, the reissue series started before Rhino got around to releasing any of them in the states. The first one Rhino issued here in the states was the Made In Japan remaster...then they've been working their way backwards to catch up. The Fireball reissue came out years later in the States than it did in the UK. I'm guessing they haven't got around to In Rock yet.

By the way, that Black Sabbath box set has excellent remastering. Well worth picking up! You can get it cheap at yourmusic.com

Edited by Shawn

Working their way backward...that's sounds like a very probable explanation.

I managed to find Rhino versions of the following Deep Purple albums:

"Fireball" (1 disc with bonus tracks)

"Machine Head" (2 disc version with Roger Glover remixes on second disc)

"Made in Japan" (2 disc version with extra tracks on second disc)

"Who Do We Think We Are" (1 disc with bonus tracks)

"Burn" (1 disc with bonus tracks)

All of these are excellent and highly recommended to any DP fans, although obviously those who do not like Mark III with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes may prefer to skip "Burn."

As mentioned in my first post, I have not seen a Rhino version of "In Rock," but did manage to find the UK EMI Anniversary remastered edition.

Rhino has also not put out:

"Made in Europe"

"Stormbringer"

"Come Taste the Band" (Mark IV)

I was able to get European (German, I think) imports of these, but they do not appear to have gotten any special treatment (no new liner notes, graphics or bonus tracks) and do not appear to be part of the same series.

There are also two interesting archival releases that further document Mark IV (with Tommy Bolin on guitar):

"Days May Come and Days May Go:The 1975 California Rehearsals"

"This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75"

Edited by HWright

Speaking of DP- I heard a BBC concert of them on XM Deep Tracks last Sunday evening. It was a few weeks before the release of Machine Head and the concert had a cheesy MC introducing each song...Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman, Smoke on the Water, Maybe I'm a Leo, Lazy and one other I forget (but from Machine Head)....and an encore of Lucille.....great show!