Google Base

Big Wheel

Google Base is a thing Google put up to enter structured data onto Google, so I was thinking, why couldn't this work with discographies? As an example, I entered some data for True Blue into Google Base. (Clearly not perfect yet, but not too bad-looking, either.) The cool thing is that you can do "bulk uploads" of certain formats of data, so if you had things in a compatible format you could enter a ton of stuff very quickly. Does anyone know what format BRIAN uses to store its data? It could be a cool (and easy) project to get discographers to do uploads of their BRIAN listings, if they are in a compatible format.

...thinking about this a little more, I wonder if the best way to enter data is by each song, rather than each recording date? You can tag any data you like with identifying "labels", so it wouldn't be too difficult to group "Theme for Doris", "Good Old Soul," and so on together with a common "album" or "recording date" label. And you could group "recording dates" into sessionographies, and albums into discographies. Or something like that. And put up reviews. I notice AMG's interface has gotten kinda crappy lately. Maybe there's a better way...

Edited by Big Wheel

Looks like a possibility but not a very flexible one. Is it possible to do queries like show all recording sessions where Scott La Faro plays the kazoo? Looks like data entry is very time consuming and who knows if it's worth the effort (i.e. what can you do with the accumulated data). I made an SQL Server database and a quick and dirty Windows GUI for data entry but don't use it because I hate filling out forms :wacko: . Well, who cares anyway.

My point is that if people have to go through the hassle of investing many hours doing data entries, the data should not be bound to a proprietary platform like google base - it should be portable, IMO. Does google base give you the possibility to move your data to another system?

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Query.aspx :tup

Looks like a possibility but not a very flexible one. Is it possible to do queries like show all recording sessions where Scott La Faro plays the kazoo? Looks like data entry is very time consuming and who knows if it's worth the effort (i.e. what can you do with the accumulated data). I made an SQL Server database and a quick and dirty Windows GUI for data entry but don't use it because I hate filling out forms :wacko: . Well, who cares anyway.

My point is that if people have to go through the hassle of investing many hours doing data entries, the data should not be bound to a proprietary platform like google base - it should be portable, IMO. Does google base give you the possibility to move your data to another system?

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Query.aspx :tup

The point of the bulk uploads is to eliminate manual data entry - assuming you already have the data, of course. Stores use this feature to upload a ton of products at once.

Interesting quesion on data portability. I know that they encourage you to have the data in a portable format before you add it to Google Base (that's why they talk about XML and so on for bulk uploads). The problem I forsee with porting data out is the labels attached to everything. I assume that's metadata, and I think the eventual goal is to use that to facilitate natural language queries. So there's probably a lot going on behind the scenes and a lot of data may be getting added that you can't see. I guess they could add a feature where you could still be able to port out all your original data, but a lot of the "meaning" - the way the system understands the data - could get lost.

Edited by Big Wheel

Interesting and look user friendly. Depends how easy it is to input.....oh god file input.....just gone off the idea. See computers will be smart when they know what cds I have with out me listing them and have some nifty way of sorting them.

and working out how to hide all the details from 'you know who' in case she works out how much they you know what' $. Cause when that happens I will be in the 'you know where

:( '