Bill Charlap Trio

fasstrack

How do the Venus discs compare to the Blue Notes? I have the Hoagy Carmichael set (love theses tunes very much!) and the one with guests (incl. Shirley Horn and Frank Wess).

in my mind there is no comparison whatsoever. the venus dates are far more cohesive and present the trio as a well-oiled machine in contrast to the blue notes, which while good, have something that weighs them down or keeps them from fully realizing their potential. also, the venus dates (released under the banner of the new york trio name) aren't thematic (a la carmichael and bernstein). then there's that venus mastering...

do yourself a favor and check them out,

-e-

IMHO the Blue Note dates are just as good as the Venus recordings, they are different mainly due to the different rhythm teams, Peter Washington and Kenny Washington on the Blue Notes, Jay Leonhart and Bill Stewart on the Venus (with the exception of "'S wonderful" which also has the Washingtons).

Some of the Venus dates are thematic, insofar as they feature certain composers: "Thou Swell" Richard Rodgers, "Begin The Beguine" Cole Porter, "Love You Madly" Duke Ellington.

Is there a good websource (non-japanese, favourably european) to get Venus discs from? I have one or two I found in sales bins, but usually they are not distributed here or if, sold for astronomic prizes, which I'm not prepared to pay. :-(

They aren't European, but Cadence has always been the best option I've found for Venus discs. About $22 per disc - if you get enough, maybe shipping won't up that number by too much.

Another US source is www.eastwindimport.com. They specialize in Japanese jazz CDs and sell the Venus discs at $22 each.

All standards and jazz tunes, Matthew, so if you're looking for the cutting edge of audacious innovation, you'll be disappointed. But as mainstream piano trios playing standards go, this is way up there. I hear Charlap's model as the Tommy Flanagan trio--those crisp arrangements, and the basic distribution of roles. None of that Scott Lafaro stuff for Peter Washington, he's one of the great contemporary walking bassists (and his rare solos with this trio are very impressive). And Kenny Washington is extraordinary. This trio is all about swing and melody, elegant lines and cohesion whether at a snail's pace or a gallop. It's nothing groundbreaking but their joyful exercise of their craft is pure pleasure for me.

Agreed, this is a great set. I especially like the treatment of "It's Only A Paper Moon" as a very slow ballad.