For jazz guitarists

Roger Farbey

I bought an archtop electric yesterday that looked and played so good I couldn't resist. However, it's difficult to identify, despite the fact it has a 'Blueridge' transfer on the headstock. It has no other identifiable markings such as a serial number and no label visible inside the guitar. Having a quick look on the web I have a suspicion that this is a Chinese guitar that is meant to look like a Wes or Tal Gibson but they chickened out and labelled it Blueridge, who incidentally seem only to make dreadnought guitars. It is brown/gold sunburst with twin gold plated humbuckers and four volume/tone controls over the lower f hole. The single cutaway horn is rounded as opposed to the sharp cutaways of the Gibson ES series as favoured by Pat Metheny et al. I think if it had been a real Gibson is would have cost me around $4,000 but this only cost me approx $300 including part exchanging my Fender acoustic. Any ideas, comments?

The photo of a Tal Farlow Gibson below is near enough to mine in looks albeit Tal's is slightly fancier (painted scroll etc)

98tal.jpg

Edited by Roger Farbey

The bulk of the import archtops are made by Samick for Epiphone, Washburn, et al, and as far as the guitars themselves are concerned, they are nice instruments for their budget area, usually around $300 to $600 used. The electronics in them need to be upgraded to some quality stuff to make them a fine gigging guitar. I'd say that is probably what yours is. The high grade import archtops for Gretsch and D'Angelico and their like are made in Japan by the Terada factory, and go for $1500 and up used.

The bulk of the import archtops are made by Samick for Epiphone, Washburn, et al, and as far as the guitars themselves are concerned, they are nice instruments for their budget area, usually around $300 to $600 used. The electronics in them need to be upgraded to some quality stuff to make them a fine gigging guitar. I'd say that is probably what yours is. The high grade import archtops for Gretsch and D'Angelico and their like are made in Japan by the Terada factory, and go for $1500 and up used.

Thanks Herb for the input

Roger F