wes montgomery lp - so much guitar - Question !

jbs-tom

... just received the riverside lp wes montgomery "so much guitar". it has the blue label with the reel & mike logo on top and the bill grauer add on the bottom, BUT it has no deep groove !

Q: must this record has a deep groove to be 1st press ??

thanks for info

ps: can't find it on popsike or ebay

So much guitar is RLP 382. In this part of the Riverside catalogue, it becomes complicated... I have a 380 promo white lbl without DG, but i know there are DG of this one. I have a 383 no DG promo white, never seen a DG (but may exist). I have a 384 DG, but have seen no DG. I think at this time, many Riverside were pressed DG and no DG at the same time (I have a 420 white promo DG, but have seen many no DG). So for your 382 Its hard to tell whether its original or not considering the DG. The problem is the no DG riverside, first or not, rarely sound good, and sometimes sound awful (380, 383 for example). Anyway, If you have at the top back the two references " RLP 382" and "RS 9382" left and right, then its a reissue, DG or not.

So much guitar is RLP 382. In this part of the Riverside catalogue, it becomes complicated... I have a 380 promo white lbl without DG, but i know there are DG of this one. I have a 383 no DG promo white, never seen a DG (but may exist). I have a 384 DG, but have seen no DG. I think at this time, many Riverside were pressed DG and no DG at the same time (I have a 420 white promo DG, but have seen many no DG). So for your 382 Its hard to tell whether its original or not considering the DG. The problem is the no DG riverside, first or not, rarely sound good, and sometimes sound awful (380, 383 for example). Anyway, If you have at the top back the two references " RLP 382" and "RS 9382" left and right, then its a reissue, DG or not.

thanks michel,

then i have a original without DG, but the sound is really not the very best but still enjoyable and also near mint ! got it for 20 $, so quite satisfied with that one

... just received the riverside lp wes montgomery "so much guitar". it has the blue label with the reel & mike logo on top and the bill grauer add on the bottom, BUT it has no deep groove !

I happen to have two copies of So Much Guitar: one with and one without deep groove!

The jackets and the labels are exactly the same, but for some reason I have the feeling the dg-version is older. Soundwise there is not much difference - both copies sound so so, so you don't have to hunt for the dg version.

Like Michel said, this is a difficult part in the Riverside catalogue. My copies of 376 (Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard), 380 (The Trio), 381 (Elmo Hope - Homecoming), 383 (Sittin' in With Dick Morgan) are all without dg. On the other hand, most of the higher numbers are again with dg!

I

Like Michel said, this is a difficult part in the Riverside catalogue. My copies of 376 (Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard), 380 (The Trio), 381 (Elmo Hope - Homecoming), 383 (Sittin' in With Dick Morgan) are all without dg. On the other hand, most of the higher numbers are again with dg!

You may have noticed also that 376 is often seen no DG white label, while DG version is often the regular blue label. Peter, how does sound your 376 no DG ?

You may have noticed also that 376 is often seen no DG white label, while DG version is often the regular blue label. Peter, how does sound your 376 no DG ?

Not so good, unfortunately. The vinyl is a bit noisy, which is very obvious as the music is relatively quite. I also have a stereo, black label copy (no DG), which sounds as bad as the mono. Not exactly Blue Note quality pressings (and recordings)!

Not so good, unfortunately. The vinyl is a bit noisy, which is very obvious as the music is relatively quite. I also have a stereo, black label copy (no DG), which sounds as bad as the mono. Not exactly Blue Note quality pressings (and recordings)!

Well... its somewhat a relief...my DG copy is noisy, and looks mint. So if you have the same trouble i really think now its the pressing in itself... :(