Pat Martino at The Iridium

jazzydaddy

Just got back from a week in New York. Although we caught a few Broadway shows the high point for us (my wife, 15 yr. old daughter and I) was hearing Pat Martino's quartet at the Iridium.

Pat's group included Rick Germanson (Piano), Paul Gill (Bass), and Scott Allan Robinson (Drums).

I am almost embarassed to say that while I have several of Pat's albums this was the first time I have heard him perform live. What a wonderful experience it was. Aparently Pat performs a 3 or 4 day gig at the Iridium each year.

He stuck pretty much to his tried and true repertoire; bebop standards, blues and his well honed originals. I guess the most fascinating selection for me was his rendition of Coltrane's Impressions which he took at a very slow bluesy tempo but with somewhat of a Rhumba beat. I presume this is his trademark rendition. It gave the tune a whole 'nother feeling as opposed to Trane's blazing pace. He also performed a tune entitled "Mac Tough"; his tribute to Jack McDuff who he mentioned had alot to do with his return to performing following his memory loss.

His pianist (Rick Germanson) appeared to be the strongest link in the supporting trio and a wonder to watch as well as hear. A very agressive performer when given the opoportunity to take over the lead.

All-in-all a very exhilorating set to say the least. Highly recommended to anyone out there that may have the opportunity in the coming months to see Pat..........

BTW, the club was filled to capacity for the second set which began officially at 9:30 (music didn't really begin until nearly 10:00).

Nice to see the Big Apple can still support mainstream jazz of the highest caliber.

BTW, the cheesecake was delicious......

Don

Edited by jazzydaddy

I love seeing Pat. Truly one of the best performers in jazz today. Really nice guy too. Agree about Germanson as well. A fantastic pianist that not alot of people know about.

Regarding that version of Impressions that you speak of, it sounds alot like the version that he played when i saw him last, which in turn sounds very similar to the version played by Herbie Hancock & friends on the "Directions in Music" CD.

Thanks for the tip Sal. I'll have to give that Herbie Hancock album a listen. I totally missed it when it was released.

Don

Regarding that version of Impressions that you speak of, it sounds alot like the version that he played when i saw him last, which in turn sounds very similar to the version played by Herbie Hancock & friends on the "Directions in Music" CD.