OK, get out yer bowlers ...

kenny weir

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even know that Van Morrison plays alto sax.  Does he play on any of his other recordings?

One for sure that I know of "A Night in San Francisco" which is a mighty fine live 2 cd set.Also I think he plays on "Back on Top" and numerous other recordings.No threat to the legacies of Bird,Cannon,Hodges etc but servicable.

Van might play a little saxophone on that "Night in San Francisco" CD, but the lion's share is by what's-her-name... Candy Dulfer, that's it. She's a serviceable r&b saxophonist; Van is enthusiastic but has considerably less chops.

I'm looking forward to this record. Live, he can still pack a punch. I saw him three or four years ago and he was in fantastic form.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I've had a promo ciopy of this for about a week. I've played it a few times on the 'phones at work. And truth to tell, I'm not sure I'll ever get 'round to any sort in-depth listening at home.

*The coolest thing about the album is the goovy BN-style cover.

*But, no, the fact he's BN has had no effect on Van. Not that anybody would expect it to.

*There's the same mix of ballads, blues, shuffles, rock etc that has constituted his albums of recent years.

*Instrumentally, the Acker Bilk cameo is one of the loveliest things on the album.

*Here's the rub, though: On no less than four of the 13 tunes - Too Many Myths, Goldfish Bowl, Fame and Get On With The Show - he overtly addresses his enormous, passionate dislike of being a celeb and a star, and the hangers on that go with it and all rest of it, and how he hates it all. On and on and on ...

Fair enough, I guess, it's his record. But even as a long-time Van Fan, there's no way this kind of whining is going to win a place in my heart.

Van's become a bore.

Edited by kenny weir