John Taylor "Rosslyn"

John Tapscott

My local HMV is having a sale on certain ECM titles and I picked up this one yesterday, which was released a few months ago. It's a trio session with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron. I gave it a couple of spins this morning and man, I REALLY like this disc. This one's going into my 'heavy play" drawer for a while.

Marvellous disc. Taylor toured with Johnson and Baron in the UK 18 months back at the time of his 60th birthday (there was a larger band on the bill too). Great concert in Sheffield.

A player I've followed from the late 70s - a major figure on the UK scene and on countless sessions here. And at one stage virtually the ECM house pianist! He's about as far from the bluesy jazz pianist as you can get.

He's never really been a 'name' which is sad because he's got a great breadth of musical activity. I can't imagine how many projects I've seen or heard him live or on radio, most of which have never got to disc.

There's a new solo disc just out on Sketch records which I've yet to find.

Taylor is especially striking in John Surman's absolutely stunning quartet (with John Marshall and Chris Laurence...now there's a band crying out for a live recording). Look out for him on Kenny Wheeler's discs too.

And, if you don't know them, the various Azimuth discs and recordings with his former wife Norma Winstone are quite beautiful.

I had an email from John Taylor today. I had written to him asking to be reminded who had been on the bill at a gig I heard him at in my early years of jazzthusiasm.

Back in 1981 or 82 the line up had been Wheeler, Parker, Taylor, Jenny-Clarke, Motian. The date was at Leeds University and was a major eye-opener for me.

Taylor has been taking care of business and spreading the word for a long time over here and it is good to know he is still going strong.

Edited by David Ayers

I went to see Zoot at Ronnie's in London, England, in 1974, and he was backed by John Taylor. I was very impressed! The bassist, Ron Matthewson, and the drummer, Martin Drew, were also superb. I wish Zoot had recorded with them, as his records at the time used rhythm sections that were nowhere near as good as that one at Ronnie's. (An added delight was that Zoot had added soprano, on which he sounded like Zoot Sims an octave higher - no Trane stuff.)

Ron Matthewson was a fabulous bass player. He disappeared from view in the 80s - 'personal problems' I've been told. I saw him once backing Jimmy Guiffre in a half empty room in Nottingham.

I've talked it up many times but one of my favourite records of all time was a record on Pye by the Ronnie Scott Quintet called 'Serious Gold.' Scott, Matthewson, Drew, Taylor (on acoustic and electric pianos) and the great Irish guitarist, Louis Stewart. This really should be out there on CD. A thrilling record.

Another MIA with Taylor is 'On Loan With Gratitude', a quartet led by Stan Sulzmann (another underappreciated Brit). The saxophonist/flautist with Taylor (again on piano ans el-p...he was great on el-p), Tony Levin and Chris Laurence.

Anyone with an interest in UK jazz should check out a couple of recent issues:

Nikki Isles (p) - 'Veils' with Stan Sulzmann, Mike Outram (g), Mick Hutton (bs) and Anthony Michelli (d). Wonderfully memorable compositions and great playing.

Liam Noble (p) - 'In the Meantime' with Chris Biscoe(saxes, cl), Stan Sulzmann(saxes+ fl), Mick Hutton (bs), Paul Clarvis (d).

This is music from younger piano playing leaders who clearly know their John Taylor.

A great source for UK CDs put out on minor labels is:

http://www.jazzcds.co.uk/

Edited by Bev Stapleton