Snowboarding

After a great day at a small mountain in Vermont with my brother two weeks ago on my old 148 with baseless bindings and soft Morrow boots, I decided it was time to upgrade. I went down to a local shop and took advantage of their late-season sale, purchased myself a brand new RIDE, bindings, and DC boots.

I am dying to go this weekend. I can remember riding on a 156, fast, smooth, long turns and free. Although I had one last great day on my shortboard, I recognized the fact that I was riding with unnecessary pain in my feet on that unnecessarily rattling board. The thing was not designed for fast freeriding. It was designed for spinning, something that has less importance to me know than it did 5 years ago. Yes, it has been that long since I last bought gear.

I bought a 155 RIDE Nation. Beautiful shape, incredibly light, nice flexibility, extra active edge around the nose and tail. The bindings I didn't put as much stock in. I bought the RIDE LS bindings. Much nicer than the baseless bindings I was strapped into before, but definitely not top of the line. Instead, I put my money into a pair of DC Radians. These boots are incredible. I know they will soften up over the next few seasons, but they are extremely supportive, complete with an air bladder to hug my ankles as tight as I wish. Yes, this is old Reebok technology applied.

I have detuned the board and am ready to go. Is this all greek to everybody here, or can I get an AMEN!?

That's what I'm talking about. AMEN!

I'm considering doing a night session at this dump an hour from LA called Mountain High(should be Hill Low). It's super small, but can be fun. Then again it can be a windy, slushy, icy-hard, and/or crowded as hell. At least it's only 20 clams. Wish I was in that Colorado powder! :eye:

• 1 year later...

Well, I replaced those Ride bindings this season with a new pair of the toe-strap variety. I was considering a pair of FLOW bindings, but decided against it. I just don't know anyone who uses them, so I didn't have any good info to go on. These toe-straps are fantastic! For those interested, I ended up with the Burton Missions. There is a Burton outlet not far from here, so it made sense. This is my first Burton product and I am impressed. Aside from the toe-strap, these bindings are way more adjustable than any that I had owned before. I'm loving them.

I'm heading out to Breckenridge with my brother and a good friend in February to stay with good friend's brother. Freeeeee everything! I can't wait. I've been on the treadmill faithfully to get my cardio into shape for that thin air. Working my legs like hell too! I just need to get my back into shape. I was feeling it in the heavier snow last weekend. I wish I could snowboard year-round and not have to worry about atrophy.

As an aside, I brought the iPod for the hell of it. I tried listening to it for one run and wasn't into it. I just don't like being detached from the mountain like that. It was worth a try though...

This thread didn't get much of a response last year, but I thought I'd try again.

I ride a Salomon set up, board/boots/bindings, a 156. It is the first board I bought, and I've had it for several seasons now. Rides like a champ! I'm totally comfortable in all situations on it. I've been told by several reliable sources that Salomon makes top notch stuff.

Two of the best investments I've made for snowboarding are my jacket and pants, which were both made by 686. They are impervious to cold, such that I have only worn thermals on the coldest of cold days. Never hot either, they have great breathability. I couldn't recommend 686 higher, I have been more than satisfied with their performance.

I've been to Mammoth several times this season already, and it has been epic. The snowfall out here is at record levels. Over New Year's I was charging mountains of fluffy white freshies, the kind where you'll sink if you don't keep moving.

I can't wait to get back up there! :tup

Yeah! We plan on making the trip to Wolf Creek. Who knows if we'll even hit Breckenridge the way Wolf Creek is shaping up. Wolf Creek is still a secret, right? ;)

Do you snowboard or ski? A friend of mine got a pair of Volkl Superstar 6-Stars this season. Holy Moses. Makes me want to put on a pair of skis again!

Wolf Creek is still a secret but greedy old billionare Red McCombs is trying to change that so come enjoy it while you can because if McCombs has his way he'll change it into another Aspen. I'm not a skier or snowboarder but if you have questions I can probably get them answered for you. So come and enjoy.

• 1 year later...

Up, because I live on the Southeastern seaboard now and would love to live vicariously through anyone who's taking advantage of an early season. I'm scheming on an early-Spring trip. We'll see what happens.

I have to fly anywhere at this point. NC just ain't worth it to me. The lines are longer than the runs here.

I've been to Mammoth three times already, last weekend being the latest. It dumped half of Saturday and all through the night so Sunday was an awesome powder day. I'm going back January 2nd through the 6th, I can't wait!

After the two feet of snow fell last night, I imagine Colorado is the place to be.