WBGO-FM to Broadcast Live from the Village Vanguard!

Folks,

Just read the WBGO email news letter and this series looks verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry promising:

Live Broadcasts from the Village Vanguard

WBGO, Village Vanguard and NPR Music Join Forces for New Series

The Village Vanguard is arguably the Mecca of jazz performance venues. Well into its seventh decade, the Vanguard is revered around the world for its rich history, its continued commitment to jazz, and its near-perfect acoustics. Taken together, these aspects make the underground club a jazz musician’s favorite place to play in the world. Next spring, WBGO, Jazz 88.3 FM celebrates its 30th anniversary as the premiere jazz broadcaster in the country, a champion for both jazz and award-winning news programming. Last fall, National Public Radio (NPR) launched the highly anticipated NPR Music site, a showcase for partner stations like WBGO. Now, this trio of music producers and presenters have come together to create a jazz experience that has never been done before - not quite like this.

Live at the Village Vanguard is a newly launched monthly series from WBGO, The Village Vanguard and NPR that presents jazz programming in a completely fresh way, using multi-platform media to heighten the jazz experience. “WBGO is a public media institution. We are natural communicators, and our mission is jazz. Social media platforms give us the opportunity to build on our foundation, to find and create new fans, and to reach out to people with a real-time connection to music made in the moment,” says WBGO Special Projects Producer, Josh Jackson.

WBGO's Josh JacksonMusic and social media is the core of this project. From You Tube, to iTunes, to My Space, to music blogs, music fans are continuously finding more and more ways to access and enjoy music. WBGO’s efforts in this project speak to the notion that jazz is not an exclusive genre on the margin of these expanding media trends and experiences. Beyond your typical live broadcast radio experience, Jackson will be blogging during the concerts, in real time from inside the club, on the WBGO Blog: Jazz & Beyond (WBGO.org/blog). Our broadcast team will upload photos and create exclusive content to connect personally with the public. For those who love IM-ing, and texting, you can also join Jackson in a live conversation via the WBGO chat room, and discuss the performances as they happen. Into Facebook and Snapfish? Perfect. You can view a constantly-updated photo gallery on Flickr, an online photo management and sharing application.

Jazz content currently accounts for 15 percent of the music on the NPR music site, and NPR believes this is an exciting way to reintroduce the genre to its overall audience. The Village Vanguard continues to blaze the trail when it comes to live performance. Owner Lorraine Gordon did not hesitate when she was approached with the idea of a broadcast collaboration. "It’s an honor and a pleasure to work with WBGO. [W]BGO is a part of the structure of jazz today and the scene…very necessary."

Live at the Village Vanguard Schedule

Join us at the Vanguard, or from your living room for any of the following dates:

Wed. June 11th – Guillermo Klein Y Los Guachos

Wed. June 18th – Brian Blade and the Fellowship Band

Tues. July 1st – Uri Caine Trio

Wed. August 27th – Kenny Barron Quintet

Wed. September 3rd – Paul Motian/Bill Frisell/Joe Lovano

Wed. October 8th – Bill Charlap Trio

Wed. November 19th – Ravi Coltrane Quartet

Wed. December 17th – Cedar Walton Quartet

You can go to Visit My Website or http://www.wbgo.org

Marla

Do you know if WBGO makes archives available? There don't seem to be any on their site, or else I missed them. Live jazz radio from the States usually takes place at 3 or 4 AM for me, alas.

EDIT - I found 'em. You have to click on the Blog link. But oops... when I click on "Listen to the show" for the Guillermo Klein concert from last night, I get a 45-second clip of the introduction, then nothing more. Oh well.

Edited by Tom Storer

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that - I'm guessing maybe they are having start up difficulties. I'll check it out myself later and get back to you. I hope this works and other stations start doing the same someday.

WGBH here in Boston occasionally has live jazz broadcasts from their new studios but I do not believe there are any regular jazz broadcasts yet.

Back in the 1970's WBUR-FM/Boston used to broadcast live jazz gigs...I just recently obtained a wonderful broadcast of Dizzy Gillespie at a club called "Rise" in Cambridge dating back to May of '77. Diz's regular musicians Rodney Jones, Ben Brown and Mickey Roker are present and a HUGE surprised for me was that one of my all-time jazz heroes, saxophonist Jimmy Mosher, is on the gig and also local favorite, pianist Tom LaMark!

Anyway, I'll check the link at WBGO and report back.

Marla