Jimmy McGriff

michel devos

I cannot remember having read recently any post about Jimmy McGriff in the various jazz forums we know.Why is that?

As far as I know, McGriff discography is prolific enough and of high quality, especially in the last ten years.The sessions he cut with Hank Crawford, among others, are exceptionally rewarding : good program, played with enough excitement, excellent sound, excellent partners like Bernard Purdie, Red holloway, David Newman etc...

Regarding the music played, it is true to be rather bluesy or soul jazz oriented : but then so are Jack McDuff, John Patton and others.Technically, McGriff is certainly up to par with any of the stars everybody talks about, like JOS, Don Patterson, Jo DeFrancesco, then what...?Shall we discuss only bop players?

Would anybody have comments or views about this ?I'm really looking forward to read from you all guys. :blink:

McGriff is certainly one of the greatest organist ever. I doubt anybody would say otherwise. However, imho McGriff suffers from not having been a Blue Note or Prestige artist with 3 or more albums. His Sue and Solid State stuff was really so commercially oriented, I think it turned off more mainstream jazz fans and still does. On record, he's had some of the worst sidemen ever. Terribly out of tune horns and guitarists who just don't cut the mustard. His albums just aren't as jazz oriented as the other top organists.

I don't think it was until he got with Bob Porter and Milestone that he began to do some more serious jazz stuff. Those are really my favorite McGriff sessions. The more recent stuff from the 80's, 90's. Those are great sessions.

All that said, he's a wonderful, wonderful player who is highly regarded by jazz organists all over the world. If he had the recording opportunities that the other's had, he'd be in more discussions. Alfred Lion producing 5 McGriff albums int he 60's would have made a big difference.

Edited by Soul Stream

Relieved there are some McGriff enthusiasts around here...

To my knowledge, there are 3 milestones records, two with Hank Crawford (Road tested and Soul Survivors) and one with Dave newman (Dream Team) .Do you know any others?

Also, would be great to have more details about that Groove Merchant compilation : afraid my amex is going to get another hard time... :g

Edited by michel devos

He has 11 Milestone CDs available. Check AMG for details. I'd suggest "The Starting Five" and "McGriff's House Party." Although they're all wonderful. There's also a nice compilation that came out last year of his milestone work with Hank Crawford.

Enjoy! :)

...one point you may consider. On some of McGriff's Milestones of the 90's he uses an XB3, and electronic B3 simulator....NOT a real hammond organ. But if anyone can make it sound good...Jimmy McGriff can and does. So it's not a bad thing overall. However, the CDs I suggested above have real Hammond on it....

Edited by Soul Stream

McGriff is certainly one of the greatest organist ever.  I doubt anybody would say otherwise.  However, imho McGriff suffers from not having been a Blue Note or Prestige artist with 3 or more albums.  His Sue and Solid State stuff was really so commercially oriented, I think it turned off more mainstream jazz fans and still does.  On record, he's had some of the worst sidemen ever.  Terribly out of tune horns and guitarists who just don't cut the mustard.   His albums just aren't as jazz oriented as the other top organists.

I don't think it was until he got with Bob Porter and Milestone that he began to do some more serious jazz stuff.  Those are really my favorite McGriff sessions.  The more recent stuff from the 80's, 90's.  Those are great sessions.

All that said, he's a wonderful, wonderful player who is highly regarded by jazz organists all over the world.  If he had the recording opportunities that the other's had, he'd be in more discussions.  Alfred Lion producing 5 McGriff albums int he 60's would have made a big difference.

A great pity to read, although I'm not too surprised...I work mainly in the classical music field and it is very common to rate artists by the number of albums released by some majors, such as Deutsche Gramophone or Decca or Sony .Being part (or not...) of the gang may have a definite influence over the public appearances an artist makes (recital, concert with orchestra, chamber music) and of course his discography...but I had no idea this worked in soul jazz.

Back to McGriff, I fully agree most of his nicest works appeared in the last decade for Milestones ; I knew he was playing an XB3000 , just like Rhoda Scott did for a while, though she's now back to her faithfull B3.Listening to this particular machine doesn't strike me as very different : maybe the total sound image is somewhat cleaner, more clinical, perhaps.

Did any of you hear the NW B3 (digital)?I heard some samples of the Tony Monaco-Joe DeFrancesco album Paesanos, but yhat's too short to buid an opinion.Does it sample the sound before going into the Leslie, or is this one simulated as well..?

Anybody heard it thoroughly?I'm curious :rolleyes:

Edited by michel devos

I'm not entirely familiar with Jimmy McGriff's career. This past week, I found ELECTRIC FUNK in a used bin along with a stack of other rare grooves. This is going to be at the top of that stack for a while. Not only is his playing exciting, the arrangements are unexpectedly more interesting than anything on any of the other discs I grabbed. Apparently, this session was poorly documented because the only two musicians credited are McGriff and an el. pianist named Horace Ott.

Great music that I could imagine being applied to the filmwork of Quentin Tarrantino. Just saw Kill Bill Volume One last night.

I've never heard the 80's - 90's stuff from McGriff, but the Greatest hits that was put out by Blue Note a few years ago is a really fun CD!

I also have The Worm and enjoy it... couldn't really get into Electric Funk... maybe that would be different today.