Peter Gullin (son of Lars Gullin) is dead

Bataki

Peter Gullin died last week. I myself have lost a close friend, and Sweden and Europe have lost one of its foremost baritone saxophonists and composers. Peter got his cancer diagnosis about one year ago, and he tried to live with this the best way he could, continuing his work as a composer and as a performer at jazz clubs as a very fine baritone saxophonist. Of course he was worried about the cancer, but for a time things seemed to develop in a rather good way. But, a metastasis was detected, and finally, on October 7th, 2003, his body could not take any more, and he died peacefully in a hospital here in Uppsala, Sweden, only 44 years old, surrounded by his dearest.

Peter Gullin's funeral service will be held on October 28th here in Uppsala, and lots of friends and musicians from Sweden and Europe will be attending, and afterwards we will gather at the jazz club Katalin here in Uppsala, where Peter had so many fine gigs, from 1986 onward, to talk about him, remembering him.

If somebody else out there has listened to Peter's music, or has something to tell us about Peter Gullin, please post your thoughts here. As fast as possible after the memorial evening, I'll come back here with a full obituary and discography of my friend Peter Gullin.

Bataki (aka Stefan Wijkström)

JohnS, thank you for your kind comment on Peter Gullin. You said that you had wanted to try one of Peter's CD's. Here is a suggestion: "Tenderness" from 1992, Dragon DRCD 222, the one which awarded Peter the Golden Disc of Orkesterjournalen for 1992. If you want more, here is the address of Dragon's distributor in the U.S.A.:

North Country Distributors, Cadence Building, Redwood, N.Y. 13679, U.S.A. Talk to Bob Rusch.

Since Dragon is one of the best jazz labels of Sweden, you can of course find lots of other Swedish jazz artists there, both locally known and internationally known. Another good label for Swedish jazz is Prophone Records in Stockholm.

Edited by Bataki