Johnny Dodds - Clarinet Wobble

bluesbro

I am enjoying a lot a CD I just got "Johnny Dodds - Great Original Performances - 1923-1929" on the ABC label. The first track is 'Clarinet Wobble' and the booklet lists this session as:

Chicago

21/4/27

Johnny Dodds - clarinet

Lil Armstrong - piano

Bud Scott - guitar

2'34"

But I clealry hear a trumpet??!!! :blink:

And the track is 3'11". No other track is 3'11" on the CD.

Who's that? I have not listened to any Dodds before, so I wonder: is the booklet wrong or is the CD track incorrect?

Thanks much!

Edited by bluesbro

I just listened to Dodds' Clarinet Wobble and there is no trumpet, just Dodds playing in both upper and lower register.

Running time is 2:36, so that's close. You may be listening to Perdido Street Blues, a great track by the New Orleans Wanderers that has George Mitchell playing cornet w. Dodds, Lil, Ory and Johnny St. Cyr. Its running time is close to 3:11.

Edited by Christiern

I just listened to Dodds' Clarinet Wobble and there is no trumpet, just Dodds playing in both upper and lower register.

Thanks.

That means the tracks on my CD are mixed up!! Aarrgg!

Anyone has this CD that can help me sort out this mess??!!

I have the CD but in what is probably a later edition than yours - mine is on the CDS label that Robert Parker ran himself after parting from the ABC. There are 22 tracks on the CD, beginnning with Clarinet Wobble and ending with Forty and Tight. What is the c. date on your disc? I can list all of the tracks if it would help.

Thanks.

I have the CD but in what is probably a later edition than yours - mine is on the CDS label that Robert Parker ran himself after parting from the ABC. There are 22 tracks on the CD, beginnning with Clarinet Wobble and ending with Forty and Tight. What is the c. date on your disc? I can list all of the tracks if it would help.

Thanks. Mine has 16 tracks, start and end tracks are the same as yours. Its from ABC, 1986, remastered too by Robert Parker.

On closer inspection I see that no trio tracks are included here :rfr

Thanks.

Thanks. Mine has 16 tracks, start and end tracks are the same as yours. Its from ABC, 1986, remastered too by Robert Parker.

I've tried attaching the info from my set

Dodds.doc

Dodds2.doc

Thanks.

got them thanks. I heard some samples from the trio sessions and think I will end up looking for that CDS issue. Is this the cover?

d32869896l8.jpg

Thanks.

got them thanks. I heard some samples from the trio sessions and think I will end up looking for that CDS issue. Is this the cover?

d32869896l8.jpg

no - mine has a black and white head and shoulders shot of Johnny