Santana at Woodstock

gvopedz

Back in 2004 I got the 2-CD Sony Legacy Edition of Santana I - which I thought had Santana's complete performance at Woodstock. The booklet includes these notes written by Hal Miller: "For the first time we get to listen to the entire Santana program at Woodstock...Interestingly, the band opted not to perform "Evil Ways"....

Well, sure enough, a few weeks ago, Sony Legacy released Santana - The Woodstock Experience, another 2-CD set that once again includes Santana's complete performance at Woodstock. But this time, the performance includes "Evil Ways."

Anyone know what will be on next release (presumably in the year 2014 or 2019) of Santana's complete Woodstock performance?

I can't vouch for the accuracy but there's a Woodstock wiki. Here's a link to the Santana entry.

It says he went on at 2 PM Saturday and played the following:

1. Waiting

2. Evil Ways

3. You Just Don't Care

4. Savor

5. Jingo

6. Persuasion

7. Soul Sacrifice

8. Fried Neckbones And Some Home Fries

Also notes the following, oh cynical one. ;)

"The re-issue of Santana's debut album as Sony's Legacy Edition has the almost complete performance in superb quality. The Woodstock Experience edition of this album additionally contains the missing song "Evil Ways" which complete's the band's entire Woodstock performance."

I'm sure they'll find a reason to reissue it again anyway. :)

I was there and don't even remember Santana. Canned Heat and Butterfield were great. I remember Crosby, Stills, etc. (very out-of-tune), Sly raising his fist, Janis Joplin, and John Sebastian. But no Santana, I swear. What did they play?

BTW: This never made it into any movie, obviously, but I was right up front for Hendrix, and he pointed to a sweet thing in one of the front rows and dedicated a song, saying 'a dirty old man's gonna lick your bicycle seat'.....

Back in 2004 I got the 2-CD Sony Legacy Edition of Santana I - which I thought had Santana's complete performance at Woodstock. The booklet includes these notes written by Hal Miller: "For the first time we get to listen to the entire Santana program at Woodstock...Interestingly, the band opted not to perform "Evil Ways"....

Well, sure enough, a few weeks ago, Sony Legacy released Santana - The Woodstock Experience, another 2-CD set that once again includes Santana's complete performance at Woodstock. But this time, the performance includes "Evil Ways."

Anyone know what will be on next release (presumably in the year 2014 or 2019) of Santana's complete Woodstock performance?

There is a long discussion of this on the Steve Hoffman forum. The producer of the new Santana Woodstock CD wrote several posts in which he explained how "Evil Ways" was added to the Woodstock CD and why. Paraphrasing his several posts, "Evil Ways" was the only song performed by Santana at Woodstock which was not on the 2 CD Sony Legacy Edition of Santana I. That is because Carlos Santana's guitar was terribly out of tune on the rhythm guitar parts. He played his "Evil Ways" solo on only two strings to avoid the strings that were out of tune.

For the new Woodstock CD, the producer and engineer erased the out of tune rhythm guitar parts and had Carlos record new, in-tune parts. Some percussion parts were unavoidably erased with the rhythm guitar parts, so they had the percussionists come back in and re-record their parts.

This news brought on some negative posts from members of the forum, and there was some back and forth arguing with the producer. Finally, he said that they did the best that anyone could to bring "Evil Ways" to the public, and he hoped that people could enjoy it.

The producer also noted that some of the songs on the original Woodstock LPs had not even been performed at Woodstock, such as Crosby Stills Nash and Young's "Sea of Madness", and Arlo Guthrie's "Coming In To Los Angeles".

I was there and don't even remember Santana. Canned Heat and Butterfield were great. I remember Crosby, Stills, etc. (very out-of-tune), Sly raising his fist, Janis Joplin, and John Sebastian. But no Santana, I swear. What did they play?

The debut album was released that month and Santana wasn't well known outside of the SF Bay area. As far as what was played, look above.