Frank Morgan in NYC

Big Wheel

I was going to check out Lou Donaldson at the Vanguard, but the 9:00 Friday set was sold out so I looked elsewhere. Turned out it was a very good weekend to see alto players in New York: Lee Konitz at Iridium, Frank Morgan at Jazz Standard. I decided to head to the Morgan show, and was not disappointed. Band was George Cables, Curtis Lundy, Billy Hart. Tunes were all standards, and the set went something like this:

Confirmation

In A Sentimental Mood

Impressions

Equinox

Georgia on My Mind

A Night in Tunisia

Bessie's Blues

I feel like there was one more in there, but can't remember at this hour. The Hart/Lundy rhythm section is unsung, having appeared on Lundy's PURPOSE, one of the greatest straight-ahead records of the last 5 years. It was interesting to hear Morgan, who I wasn't that familiar with. Lots of Stitt in there, at least with regard to his phrasing and the way he spaces his eighth notes. Cables, of course, was a badass.

The Jazz Standard is now my favorite NYC club (still haven't made it to the Vanguard yet). Student discounts, comfortable seating, AND no minimum! Next time maybe I'll actually try the barbecue...

Big Wheel,

Good for you, I saw Frank a few weeks in Chicago (with a different rhythm section) and he was great, playing better than ever. He seems like a guy really at peace with him self. He always mentions that it's great to be alive and I would certainly agree :P .

Mark