Soloist question

jeffcrom

I have a fairly battered copy of Jimmie Lunceford's Majestic 78 #1060 - The "Jimmies"/I Need a Lift. "Jimmies" is a ballad by pianist/arranger Edwin Wilcox featuring an alto saxophonist throughout. According to the Lord discography, Omer Simeon, Earl Carruthers (primarily the bari player), Jimmie Lunceford (primarily the frontman), and one Kirkland Bradford were all on hand with alto saxes on April 25, 1946. Anybody know who the soloist is?

It's beautiful, accomplished playing, but there is no real improvisation until a little flourish at the coda. Based on the name of the tune, I wonder if it's a Lunceford sax feature, but I don't have anything to compare it to, and I always kind of assumed that Lunceford wasn't much of an instrumentalist - maybe that's an incorrect assumption. My best guess is that it's Simeon, but I have little, if any of his saxophone playing on record to compare - I have plenty of examples of his clarinet playing, of course.

Does anyone have the Savoy Lunceford LP/CD this was reissued on? Do the notes give any info? Thanks for your help.

Edited by jeffcrom

I don't think I have the LP but will check shortly (just checked; don't have it). I listened to a partial clip on line (including the ending). It sounds somewhat riper than my recollection of Simeon's alto work, but I'd like to hear the full performance before rendering an opinion.

I don't think Lunceford played much, if at all, with the band; I think he was the musical director.

As far as the title, Eric Townley offers the following in "Tell Your Story": "Slang for nervousness, fright, and sometimes delirium tremens, and probably used here as a pun on Jimmie Lunceford and his musicians also."

Found the following on line:

>>>

The final recordings of the Jimmie Lunceford Orchestra (prior to its leader's death) are included on this excellent CD. The 13 selections (three sessions from 1946-47) generally avoid the influence of bebop and stick to Lunceford's trademark sound and swing style. Tenor saxophonist and vocalist Joe Thomas was the only one of the major Lunceford soloists to still be with the big band although trumpeter Bob Mitchell, clarinetist Omer Simeon and altoist Kurt Bradford (featured on "The 'Jimmies'") also have some solo space, such up-and-coming players as trumpeter Joe Wilder and trombonist Al Grey make early appearances and former trombone star Trummy Young returns for four numbers, doing a remake of his hit "Margie." This is a historical and easy-to-enjoy CD overall, put out by Savoy in 1989. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

>>>

So, if you believe the notes (and in this case I trust my ears that it's probably not Simeon), then the alto featured on "The Jimmies" is Kurt (or Kirkland) Bradford.

I have a fairly battered copy of Jimmie Lunceford's Majestic 78 #1060 - The "Jimmies"/I Need a Lift. "Jimmies" is a ballad by pianist/arranger Edwin Wilcox featuring an alto saxophonist throughout. According to the Lord discography, Omer Simeon, Earl Carruthers (primarily the bari player), Jimmie Lunceford (primarily the frontman), and one Kirkland Bradford were all on hand with alto saxes on April 25, 1946. Anybody know who the soloist is?

It's beautiful, accomplished playing, but there is no real improvisation until a little flourish at the coda. Based on the name of the tune, I wonder if it's a Lunceford sax feature, but I don't have anything to compare it to, and I always kind of assumed that Lunceford wasn't much of an instrumentalist - maybe that's an incorrect assumption. My best guess is that it's Simeon, but I have little, if any of his saxophone playing on record to compare - I have plenty of examples of his clarinet playing, of course.

Does anyone have the Savoy Lunceford LP/CD this was reissued on? Do the notes give any info? Thanks for your help.

Found the following on line:

>>>

The final recordings of the Jimmie Lunceford Orchestra (prior to its leader's death) are included on this excellent CD. The 13 selections (three sessions from 1946-47) generally avoid the influence of bebop and stick to Lunceford's trademark sound and swing style. Tenor saxophonist and vocalist Joe Thomas was the only one of the major Lunceford soloists to still be with the big band although trumpeter Bob Mitchell, clarinetist Omer Simeon and altoist Kurt Bradford (featured on "The 'Jimmies'") also have some solo space, such up-and-coming players as trumpeter Joe Wilder and trombonist Al Grey make early appearances and former trombone star Trummy Young returns for four numbers, doing a remake of his hit "Margie." This is a historical and easy-to-enjoy CD overall, put out by Savoy in 1989. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

>>>

So, if you believe the notes (and in this case I trust my ears that it's probably not Simeon), then the alto featured on "The Jimmies" is Kurt (or Kirkland) Bradford.

Thanks, jazztrain! You were more persistent than me - I looked online but didn't come up with this. That makes perfect sense now that I know. Based on this three minutes of music, Kirk Bradford had a nice, rich tone.

Thanks again, jazztrain.