Streaming Services Comparison

Jay

I am looking for a bit of advice. I like the idea that these streaming services exist, well, at least for me, as an opportunity to check out music before I buy "the real thing." I certainly have and continue to buy a ridiculous amount of music like most people here.

I have seen lots of posts about Spotify (which I have been enjoying free for some time now) but I want to obtain a subscription so that I can use it on my mobile device, as well as on my Sonos system. I did a search and was unable to find anything really comparing sound quality, as well as depth of catalog, especially when comparing services. I have recently signed up for a trial of Rdio and it is rather impressive (and they have a nice ipad app, unlike Spotify). As for comparing Spotify to Rdio, I did a a test search for David Binney, Barry Guy, Peter Brotzmann and Tim Warfield (the first four names that came into my head) and it looks like Rdio may have the edge. It certainly seems that more Criss Cross titles are on Rdio than Spotify.

So, basically, I am wondering if anyone has done any real comparison between the services. My primary concerns are 1) catalog depth (primarily Jazz) and decent sound quality.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

spotify is now in the US as of this summer. still in limited beta though. the legacy records site delivered extra invites pretty speedily (a google search should turn it up)

interesting...my initial understanding was that rdio was inferior in terms of selection (jazz and overall), but i may need to revisit that.