speed records for bicycles

at 25 mph i feel like i'm flying.

from wilkipedia---

Speed record on a bicycle

The record for the fastest speed on a bicycle is the fastest that a person could go on a two wheeled bicycle. The table below shows the records that people have attained while riding bicycles.

Name Year Speed Type of record

Sam Whittingham 2009 133 km/h (83 mph) Flat surface, unpaced[1]

Barbara Buatois 2010 121 km/h (75 mph) Flat surface, unpaced (woman)[1]

Fred Rompelberg 1995 268 km/h (167 mph) Flat surface, motor-paced[2]

Bruce Bursford 1996 334 km/h (208 mph) Riding on a roller[3]

Markus Stöckl 2011 164.95 km/h (102.50 mph) Downhill on a volcano, on a serial production bicycle.[4]

Eric Barone 2002 172 km/h (107 mph) Downhill on a volcano, on a prototype bicycle[5]

Markus Stöckl 2007 210.4 km/h (130.7 mph) Downhill on snow, on a serial production bicycle[6]

Eric Barone 2000 222 km/h (138 mph) Downhill on snow, on a prototype bicycle[7]

[edit]History of unpaced records

The International Human Powered Vehicle Association (IHPVA) acts as the sanctioning body for new records in human-powered land, water and air vehicles. It registers non motor paced records (also called unpaced) which means that the bicycle directly faces the wind, without any motor paced vehicle in front. On land, the speed record registered by a rider on a 200 meter flying start speed trial is 133.28 km/h (82.82 mph) by the Canadian Sam Whittingham riding the Varna Tempest, a streamliner recumbent bicycle in year 2009[1] at Battle Mountain, Nevada.

The woman record holder for this same category was Lisa Vetterlein who reached 107.16 km/h (66.59 mph) in 2005. This record was beaten by the French woman Barbara Buatois when she reached 121.44 km/h (75.46 mph) at Battle Mountain, Nevada in 2009. She subsequently achieved 121.81 km/h (75.69 mph) at the 2010 running of the Battle Mountain event.

[edit]History of motor-paced

A friend of mine (and organissimo board member) was involved in the first efforts to reach 55mph (U.S. speed. Limit) and 60mph (mile a minute marks). Current records are pretty remarkable.

the strength, fitness, reflexes, equipment, and balls to go 55 mph on a bike are beyond my comprehension. hitting a pebble could be fatal.

their heart rates must have been stupendous, as well.

Edited by alocispepraluger102