Erik Hove Chamber Ensemble - Saturated Colour

CraigP

Canadian saxophonist and composer Erik Hove has recently released Saturated Colour, featuring his Chamber Ensemble. Here's an excerpt from my review:

"It took me a minute to get used to the unusual harmonies Hove uses, but once I acclimated I was all in. It reminds me a little of Steve Lehman’s Octet, and no wonder, as both Lehman and Hove have been influenced by the spectral techniques of composers such as Murail. Both Hove and Lehman play alto, and both have a tart, angular style. But Hove definitely has his own take on the spectral school, with more pastel shading to his music and a more impressionistic approach vs. Lehman.

The spectral influence does result in that unique shimmering sound that I noted in my review of Lehman’s Mise en Abîme, and as I listened to Saturated Colour I had the feeling of being held in suspended animation. Hove makes beautiful use of the combination of woodwinds and strings in the arrangements, such as on the track Ascending. There’s a slight third-steam influence here as well, which I really dig, but without the stiffness or stuffiness that is sometimes ascribed to that movement.

Enigmatic, in a good way."

You can read the full review of Saturated Colour on improvisedblog.

a2071249072_2.jpg