'THE OFFICE' (season two)

I actually found Season Two to be much better. Certainly, the Tim and Dawn thing gets pretty heavy but, more importantly, Gareth and Keith really shine in these episodes. And Tim looks absolutely beside himself at all times; very funny and understated physical comedy there.

I was particularly impressed with the last episode. They could have gone in so many directions but decided on a good one, in my opinion. I was surprised by the rather dramatic leanings in that last episode but it was quite tactfully done, I think--adding a level of poignantcy that went beyond their typicaly cynical (but spot on) gags.

I'm excited for this....

I hope you enjoy the xmas specials, if you haven't already seen them.

A few people complained over here that they didn't have that 'edge' that the series posessed. I loved them though. I think a few of those viewers were expecting your typical 'all singing, all dancing Christmas show'.

A few people complained over here that they didn't have that 'edge' that the series posessed. I loved them though. I think a few of those viewers were expecting your typical 'all singing, all dancing Christmas show'.

I've seen the first half of the first X-Mas special. I'm downloading it off of Acquisution as we speak--wait.....are we speaking?--and whoever I'm downloading it from hasn't been online lately so it's just sitting there half-done.

As for downloading in general: I limit my downloads to things that are either commercially unavailable (like old WWII propaganda cartoons) or produced by mega-rich software giants. I'm not losing any sleep about not giving them my money. Besides, I'm the kind of guy who bought the Grachan Mocur III Moasic simply on principle alone. I already had all of the music but wanted to support anyone interested keeping his music available. I did the same thing with a few RVGs that I really didn't need because I have the LPs (The Scene Changes, Right Now, The Sermon, etc). I call it 'downloading karma'.

Point is: I liked what little I saw and love the scene where Keith suggests a wet t-shirt contest, which I saw as a downloadable clip at the official BBC page.

Edited by Brandon Burke

• 2 weeks later...

I finally watched the X-Mas episodes last night. I can see why some might not like the way things resolved themselves but I thought it was great. The tension and [whetever happened at the end] between Tim and Dawn was tastefully done in my opinion. So was the unlikely turn of events affecting David Brent as things wound down. I watched both episodes back to back so it felt much more like a film than a television show. (I suppose, the surprising inclusion of the "F" word aided this feeling some.)

All said, I was quite pleased. :tup

Glad you enjoyed. It makes me, as a Brit, fairly proud that we can do some stuff right! (I'm not normally jingoistic)

Actually, one guy I spoke to about it said, words to the effect; "I was a bit dissappointed, mind you, I didn't see the series in the first place....." WHAT????

I'm sure anyone who has ever worked in an office environment will know how this programme works.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW Brandon, if you ever get chance to see a UK show called Peep Show over there, you must watch it. Told through the eyes of two flatmates, both 'losers' and deluded in various ways, it encompasses office politics, sexuality and general Generation X malais.

Funnily enough I'm not really a comedy person. When it is clear that someone is trying too hard to be funny I switch off. These shows are real gems though.

Cheers, tony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The details of the US version have been announced and are available here. Steve Carrell, who is slated to play David Brent, is definately funny but I'm more than a little worried about this. US comedies, especially those on the major networks, pretty much beat you over the head with punchlines (which is to say nothing for laugh tracks).

Here goes nothin'....

• 5 weeks later...