Atomic-"Boom Boom"

Green Dolphin

Not exactly new but taken until now to track down a supplier.If you enjoyed Feet Music and the recent summit meeting with School Days check this out.Just about my fave band coming out of Europe at the moment.P.N.L. continues to astound.Must catch these guys live and must give the disc another play...now!

P.S.Got this from Caiman in Florida if anyone's having trouble,and KV says they'll be having discs with them when they tour this month in the US with the V5.

The band I'd most like to see!

I've recently acquired 'Boom Boom' via a Scandanavian online source and love it. Wonderfully ramshackle, imprecise (in the best Brotherhead of Breath sense) yet with gorgeous melodies. Clearly related back to Ornette in the early 60s but with its own very distinct sound. Reminds me of the wilder moments of the Jarrett American Quartet when Wiik is in full flight.

Given the rave reviews for the Atomic UK tour a few years back and for the first disc when it came out here I'm surprised 'Boom Boom' hasn't had a domestic release.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Folks in US who might have difficulty getting hold of their two releases on Jazzland can easily get the recent double band release (with School Days) "Nuclear Assembly Hall" on Okka Disk. This is a 90 min double-disc release of mostly energy-charged jazz with slight inclinations towards free jazz. I've been enjoying this one a lot - nice tunes, solid solos, everything in its right place, to my ears (slightly underwhelmed by Broo here, but that's about all).

If all goes as planned, I will see them in their homeland (Norway) in a month.

Edited by gnhrtg

• 2 weeks later...

Atomic/SchoolDays do a joint concert at Molde Jazz Festival, Norway (Jul 12 - 17), Atomic plays a club date on their own at the same festival, and Vandermark also performs with Haavard Wiik and Ingebright Flaten in Freefall (inspired by Jimmy Giuffre trio).

Others: Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Branford Marsalis w/Calderazzo, Stevie Wonder, Sex Mob, Terje Rypdal, Palle Mikkelborg, Jean Michel Pilc, Richard Galliano "Piazolla Forever", Tord Gustavsen, Juhani Aaltonen

etc etc.

http://www.moldejazz.no

Edited by pepe

The Milwaukee show w/ Vandermark Five was great! It's great to see bands that have played together for years and as a result are tight tight tight. I forgot to pick-up enough $$$ before the show & was forced to choose between a few beers or an Atomic disc. The beer seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm regretting my choice now . . . The show started 2 hours late so I guess the beer was inevitable . . . .

Folks in US who might have difficulty getting hold of their two releases on Jazzland can easily get the recent double band release (with School Days) "Nuclear Assembly Hall" on Okka Disk. This is a 90 min double-disc release of mostly energy-charged jazz with slight inclinations towards free jazz. I've been enjoying this one a lot - nice tunes, solid solos, everything in its right place, to my ears (slightly underwhelmed by Broo here, but that's about all).

If all goes as planned, I will see them in their homeland (Norway) in a month.

I went to Okka's site and didn't see any mention of this, but I am very interested. Any insight? Thanks!

Bruno Johnson, I understand, is quite busy and does not get to update the web-site as often as Okka releases come out.

I really like this and its among the best releases I've heard this year. I'm too lazy to write a decent review. Let me say, though, that since it's a double-band effort you get lots of instrumental and improvisational concept-related variety, so that, for instance Wiik and Nordeson will take solos with a fast-swing accompaniment and play much more in the spirit of modern-mainstream-jazz whereas Vandermark takes a couple of solos with Love free-roaming behind him and more in line with the ways of free-jazz. Furthermore, the members contribute a tune each (two by Ljungkvist but you definitely won't complain about that) so there's also quite a lot of variety there - from ballads, to Vandermark's and some others' long multi-structured compositions to Broo's bouncy and easy-going Transparent Taylor. These two discs are a joy to listen to. I've seen two well-written reviews of this (both are positive and I mostly agree with them, that's why I'm pointing to them); one at "bagatellen" and the other at "sudden thoughts" - you should be able to find the sites through google and do a bit manoeuvring then to locate the reviews.

90 mins on two discs, if you care, and, once again, I highly recommend it. I think Mr. Nessa here distributes Okka's, alternatively I've been very happy with the services of Verge.

edit: One more thing, if it helps, the music, overall, is closer to what I've heard of Atomic than V5. I think the addition of keys and vibes nicely grounds the music.

Edited by gnhrtg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...