BBC Jazz broadcasts online

David Ayers

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to hear the greats, and so many broadcasts in recent years, in various countries, have disappointed.

I listed a small sample of names that are great. There is no question. And the young 'uns, who may not have heard the greats (in any kind of music), need to hear them as part of their musical education - and also because it is a groove to hear the best.

Once again, no disrespect to currently active musicians.

Anyway, that's why we have LPs and CDs at home.

Funnily enough, I was talking to a cousin who lives in London, England, on the phone last night. She has a lot of contacts and her daughter is a professional singer. "Do you want to be on the BBC?", she asked. So watch out, you may hear the Shrdlu Show! Then the greats will be heard, some Japanese reissues included. :D

Hey Shrdlu, will you then play all those funny jam blues numbers you composed for Norman Granz back in the days? (Is that where your nick comes from, anyway?)

Now seriously, have a listen of the Muthspiel up now - a fantastic set of music, in my opinion!

And about shows playing albums/CDs on radio: my problem is: if they'd play whole albums, that would be fine with me, but there's no station within reach of me (I receive the few Swiss, many German, as well as some French and Austrian stations) that do play the whole thing.

Also, if the Shrdlu show would play rare live recordings of the "greats", that would be really cool! Get your show on BBC, and bring us all the rare live Bird and what there is around...

Me, I'm just tired of hearing "nice swinging" jazz from records, and that is what many jazz programmes here do. There is one station in Switzerland dedicated to jazz & blues exclusively, but they don't do anything beyond that, and: no bass solos (too boring), no drum solos (too loud), nothing beyond classic modern mainstream (no noise, we're a cultivized bunch of people, aren't we?), short: your nice streamlined oh so cultural and sophisticated mainstream muzak...

ubu

In a perfect world a station would have a nice balance between programmes of 'classic' jazz and more contemporary jazz. Given how wide jazz is any jazz programme is going to displease a large chunk of the jazz audience. There's only a limited amount of jazz time on the BBC and I think they do a pretty good job of representing the range of the music.

Jazz on 3 will give you an idea of contemporary jazz, often with a UK or European dimension.

If you want classic jazz then there's plenty on Jazz Record Requests and Humphrey Lyttleton's Monday night Radio 2 programme.

If you like a carpet and slippers approach then Jazz Line-Up does the job.

If you like your jazz one step from hip contemporary rock/pop then there's a regular Courtney Pine programme on Radio 2.

And the BBC regularly does one-off series around musicians.

Humph is old but he's far from a fogey. Alongside Morton, Armstrong and Ellington you'll hear the latest releases from younger musicians on his programme, discussed respectfull, intelligently, positively.

One of my few life ambitions is to be as open-minded as he is when I reach his age!

• 2 weeks later...

Although theres only a few hours to do so I would definitely recommend listening to latest Jazz on 3 .

Some really good/ different arrangements -

Greg Osby Quartet Recorded at Pizza Express, Dean Street London 20 th April 2004

Greg Osby - alto sax

Megumi Yonezawa - Piano

Matt brewer - Bass

Damion Reid - Drums

Artist Greg Osby

Title Summertime

Composer Gershwin

Duration 11'54"

Artist Greg Osby

Title Jitterbug Waltz

Composer Fats Waller

Duration 11'37"

Greg Osby

Title Alligator Boogaloo

Composer Lou Donaldson

Duration 13'45"

Artist Greg Osby

Title East St Louis Toodle oo

Composer Duke Ellington

Duration 10'40"

Artist Greg Osby

Title Nekide

Composer Osby

Duration 3'23"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzon3/pip/mhgk1/

Thanks, fent!

I know about that site, but I always forget it again... a great one!

I'll record it as long as it's still online! Sounds very interesting - I haven't checked any London Jazz Comp. Orch., and actually not much by Guy that is olden than four or five years, so I've never encountered Riley.

ubu

A strong recommendation for tonight's Jazz on 3 (8/10/04).

Two concerts I saw at May's Bath Festival are being broadcast.

Celtic Feet - a group of Scottish musicians associated with the Caber label who perform jazz with a folky edge to it. In this case they are joined by a Hungarian duo on violin and cimbalon. A great afternoon.

John Law's European Quartet - another excellent band that started one afternoon off...never the best spot on the bill...and performed superbly.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing these again.

Next week there's another Caber connected concert. A recording from Edinburgh of Tom Bancroft's recent tour with jazz orchestra and Geri Allen on piano.

Bancroft is the drummer with Trio AAB and a regular in all manner of ensembles that play through Scotland and the UK. A very funny chap too!

• 1 month later...

Dizzy Gillespie Alumni Big Band

Performance on 3

London Jazz Festival

Dizzy Gillespie Alumni Big Band

Wednesday 24 November 2004 19:30-21:30 (Radio 3)

Alyn Shipton introduces a concert by a big band co-led by trumpeter Jon Faddis and bassist John Lee, celebrating the music and spirit of the great trumpeter and bebop innovator Dizzy Gillespie, who died in 1993. The stellar line-up includes trombonist Slide Hampton, and saxophonists James Moody and Frank Wess. Recorded at the Barbican in London earlier this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/performanceon3/pip/pmziq/

• 4 weeks later...

Currently featuring the Cecil Taylor gig (highlighted in red), flanked by features on Taylor and Dixon. Taylor feature includes the voice of Henry Grimes!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio3_aod.shtml?jon3

17 December 2004

Friday 17 December 2004 23:30-1:00 (Radio 3)

Jez Nelson presents one of this year's most talked about concerts at the London Jazz Festival - a rare appearance by the pianist Cecil Taylor at the Royal Festival Hall.

An uncompromising master of jazz's avant-garde since the '50s, Taylor is a legendary figure in jazz history and continues to produce powerful music today.

For tonight's performance, two other legendary improvisers join him - trumpeter and leader of 1964's October Revolution in jazz, Bill Dixon, and pioneer of European free improvisation, drummer Tony Oxley.

Duration:

1 hour 30 minutes

Playlist

Cecil Taylor retrospective

Kevin Legendre takes a look at Cecil Taylor's recording career

Artist Cecil Taylor

Title Wallerin'

Composer Cecil Taylor

Label Boplicity

Cat No. Cdp030

Duration 5'23'

LP Title Lookin' ahead