Towers 25% off SACD Sale

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Just discovered that Towers is having a sale on SACD's but it ends 11:55 pm (PST) May 26th.

Also, if you order $40 or more shipping is free. Use this coupan when checking out.

MAYS523B

To make it easy for you here is a link to all 411 SACDs Towers carries for the different styles of music by artist.

http://music.towerrecords.com/towermusic?a...id=B1473ED195C8

For those just interested in Jazz here is the 149 by artist

http://music.towerrecords.com/towermusic?a...id=B1473ED195C8

Thanks for posting that, Mnytime. I was surprised to see that a few of the Miles Davis SACD's were listed as OOP. They didn't last too long...

I am pretty sure that all the Miles Davis SACDs listed as "oop" are in fact the 2 channel versions. Columbia has been switching over to multi-channel versions over the last year or two and they technically "delete" the 2 channel version. It's no loss, since in almost every case, the 2 channel SACD mix has been sonically improved, almost like Sony got better at remastering in a short time period. While I don't think the old 2 channel versions are pieces of junk, others do. In fact, several contributors to the Audio Asylum rank Miles' "Kind Of Blue" 2 channel SACD as one of their worst-sounding discs. Go figure... I don't think it's that bad. Marginally improving something that already sounded pretty good does not render the old version as "unlistenable".

Later,

Kevin

To clrify my last post, when Sony puts out a multi-channel SACD, it has two separate playback areas on the disc: a milti-channel area and a 2 channel area. If it's a hybrid disc, it has 3 separate areas, with the 2 SACD (DSD) areas on one "layer" and the old-fashioned CD area on another. BTW, each layer is read back with a different frequency laser. This way, the laser "sees through" the other layer. Pretty neat optical trick. :)

Later,

Kevin

While I don't think the old 2 channel versions are pieces of junk, others do. In fact, several contributors to the Audio Asylum rank Miles' "Kind Of Blue" 2 channel SACD as one of their worst-sounding discs. Go figure... I don't think it's that bad. Marginally improving something that already sounded pretty good does not render the old version as "unlistenable".

Many Audio Asylum posters find that Sony SACDs are generally among the worst sounding, meaning that they don't sound better than the corresponding remastered CDs:

Let's shake the SACD tree and nominate our WORST SOUNDING SACDs