• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Wallace

Ferkin' trolls are EVERYWHERE.

What I dont understand:

trolls live in the slime under dilapidated bridges, right?

So...should be easy to crush 'em and eradicate the world of 'em.

Guest Wallace

Your loss.

For instance:

Who but His Holiness Prog Masterman Wallace could give you 2 or 3 actual scans of lp coverarts with TROLLS on them.

Only a prog master with VAST experience of vinyls.

Hail to the Power and to Glory's Way!

Out of curiosity, are there any bands you actually like? I mean, you've had tons to say about groups that don't measure up to your standards...wanna name off 10 or 15 albums that actually do? I'd be curious to see what the PROG MASTER has to say.

Edited by Shawn

Out of curiosity, are there any bands you actually like? I mean, you've had tons to say about groups that don't measure up to your standards...wanna name off 10 or 15 albums that actually do? I'd be curious to see what the PROG MASTER has to say.

That's His Holiness Prog Masterman Wallace to you, son.

Guest Wallace

Hundreds upon hundreds of lps measure up to my standards.

Myriads.

For instance here are TROLL lps I relish:

MICHEAL ALTMEYER'S TROLL (fusionprog)

MERIT HEMMINGSON "Trollskog" (Female hammond organist whose best lp happens to be her proggiest as well)

TROLL -Animated Music ('68 pop/psych)

NEW TROLLS Italian proggers with at least 13 lp titles to their name

TROLL Belgian band with two lps (both with beautiful coverart) (folky-fusion)

Name a country and I will give you 5 good 70s lps from there.

(But, if your merely looking for arguement, at least FIRST LISTEN to those I recommend.)

Easy Shawn. He's pushing buttons.

Wallace, I think your knowledge of troll song would be more respected throughout the hollow if you would work to drop the condescending attitude. I, for one, am less inclined to check out this music because of the presentation

If you really are here to share your knowledge, act consistently with that spirit.

We have an established community here. Nothing to prove. Ease up.

I know Shawn in the cellular world, and he is a laid back and unassuming person with a unique perspective and taste in music.

Wallace, can you recommend me some proggy vibraphone music?

Thanks.

F. Why does it seem like we have to do this whole bit every few months.

Is it just me, or is Troll a shitty band name, regardless of what country they're from?

Guest Wallace

"Vibrarock" lp by Robert Wood (France, '75). Also his '76 lp "Tombac Vibe".

I can only take this stuff in little bits. Certainly wouldnt be able to sit thru a whole lp's worth. Vibraphone rather limited soundscape to these ears, im afraid. Its no Hammond, thats for sure.

Much better is the Quebec group Maneige. Lots of mallet instruments used here. All their lps are good.

Do you know Dave Pike Set "Infra Red"? (Germany, 70s) vibra freak-jazz

Yeah, the Pierre Moerlen's Gong phase of Gong/Gongzilla. Pierre was truely amazing.

Here is part of a review I did of Franco Leprino '77 lp "Integrati...Disintegrati":

"The weave is of classical piano pieces, avant-garde electronics, tape-

manipulation, delicate acoustic guitar work (some plucked), the

dreamy blend of vibraphone with backwards effects ...

Edited by Wallace

"Vibrarock" lp by Robert Wood (France, '75). Also his '76 lp "Tombac Vibe".

I can only take this stuff in little bits. Certainly wouldnt be able to sit thru a whole lp's worth. Vibraphone rather limited soundscape to these ears, im afraid. Its no Hammond, thats for sure.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WVQPtksl-Mg

Much better is the Quebec group Maneige. Lots of mallet instruments used here. All their lps are good.

Do you know Dave Pike Set "Infra Red"? (Germany, 70s) vibra freak-jazz

Yeah, the Pierre Moerlen's Gong phase of Gong/Gongzilla. Pierre was truely amazing.

Here is part of a review I did of Franco Leprino '77 lp "Integrati...Disintegrati":

"The weave is of classical piano pieces, avant-garde electronics, tape-

manipulation, delicate acoustic guitar work (some plucked), the

dreamy blend of vibraphone with backwards effects ...

I couldn't deal with that youtube clip. I had to shut it down about half-way through. That was brutal. Are the other recommendations more imaginative or was vibraphone relegated to electric wailing in this genre?

Things have come a long way since the electravibe. Nico Vanderplaas has created some amazing instruments.

I agree with you on the limited soundscape. With exceptions of course, vibes cannot/should not replace electric guitar, b-3, etc. as the lead instrument. Exceptions being the right musician.

ps Yes. I know the Dave Pike stuff. A great player.

Guest Wallace

Cant comment on the Wood youtube clip.

I posted it, but didnt watch.

(As I stated elsewhere, I am on dialup internet, so the accessing of youtube clips is pretty well out of my reach.)

After listening to lots of prog over the last 4 decades, the only 3 albums I keep coming back to are Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red. So my suggestion to all is just to chill and listen to some Fripp. IMHO, that's all you'll ever need.

After listening to lots of prog over the last 4 decades, the only 3 albums I keep coming back to are Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red. So my suggestion to all is just to chill and listen to some Fripp. IMHO, that's all you'll ever need.

Now that's progressive metal.