Reparation Records (Hakim Jami & Skeeter Shelton)

JSngry

A good friend has shared two releases on this label with me (both available from Cadence, I'm told):

• REVEALING by Hakim Jami + Revelation Ensemble featuring James "Blood" Ulmer
  • SKEETER by Skeeter C.R. Shelton

The first is a nice date, w/Ulmer playing like he did in the days of The Music Revealtion Ensemble. All the compositions are his. Jami plays wonderfully droning bass (meant as a high compliment in this context, btw). A very nice, if ultimately unsurprising, Ulmer date. Shelton's tenor adds a very nice flavor on some cuts. Ulmer buffs will defintiely want to pick up on this one, and others might as well.

The second date, Shelton's own, is also worthy of attention. Shelton plays what might be described, for general purposes, as "loft" tenor. He's combined elements of Ayler, Sam Rivers, Julius Hemphill, Henry Threadgill, etc. into one voice. He plays with authority, conviction, and is definitely not a lightweight. JAmi shows up on this one, too, and plays quite nicely in this different setting.

Both of these albums seem to be artist-produced CD-Rs. The label has no website, the only information being an address in Detroit, and an e-mail address. Other than Ulmer, none of the names were familair to me, although a bit of Googling shows that Shelton has performed with the Northwoods Improvisers along w/Fariq Z Bey, with whom I am somewhat familiar. (as well, I see here http://www.northwoodsimprovisers.com/history.htm that one Randy Marsh has a past association w/the Northwoods Improvisers. Randissimo, tell us more, please!)

So what's up w/Jami, Shelton, & Reparation Records? What kind of a scene do they have going up there in Detroit?

Contact info as listed on the albums, for those who are interested:

REPARATION RECORDS

1470 Clairmount

Detroit MI 48206

Reparation@SBCGlobal.net

Also, as noted, likely available through Cadence.

So what's up w/Jami, Shelton, & Reparation Records? What kind of a scene do they have going up there in Detroit?

I do not know about Shelton, but Hakim Jami appears on three Steeplechase recordings from the '70s: Ken McIntyre's "Chasing the Sun" (a trio session w/Beaver Harris) and two Hilton Ruiz LPs (both from the same session, hovewer): "New York Hilton" and "Steppin' into Beauty".

Luca

Skeeter Shelton is a very impressive player with the Northwoods Improvisers (they all are). His compositions and methods are generally more direct than those of bandmates Faruq Z. Bey and Mike Carey, and his music is very compelling nonetheless.

The "scene" for that kind of music in Detroit is pretty damn sparse. The Chicago players seem to get a bit more attention, but, these days, most musicians with anything special to say seem to struggle everywhere. :(

You're right, SEK...the Detroit scene for avant-garde music is very small, indeed...

Reparation is Hakim's label. He and Skeeter are co-producers/music directors. They've got connections in NYC, Brooklyn, and get some work there, adding drums and sometimes other instruments. Skeeter's got a Chicago connection happening and that helps too.

I hear that Hakim (who cycles between Manhattan and Detroit) is planning some more recordings, this time leaning in the 'straight ahead' direction.

Reparations is supposedly doing well - Hakim's got good distribution.