"Something New, Something Blue.."

garthsj

I was discussing this album a few weeks ago .. and now DG (The Bastards!) have it available ....

newManny Albam, Bill Russo, Teo Macero, & Others -- Something New, Something Blue . . . CD . . . $12.99 (Item: 382206)

Columbia/Fresh Sound (Spain), 1959 Condition: New Copy View Cart View image

The cover of this one makes it look like a no-name leaderless session, but this one actually features some great work by some very hip players! Half the album features vibist Teddy Charles leading a group of modernists that includes Hal McKusick, Frank Socolow, Bill Russon, Bob Brookmeyer, Mal Waldron, and Donald Byrd -- on tracks that have a bluesy base, but a bit of an edge to them. The other half features Manny Albam leading a combo with Al Cohn, Teo Macero, Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Phil Woods, and Eddie Costa. The session was done to showcase the talents of 4 of the best modern arrangers of the late 50s -- Manny Albam, Bill Russon, Teo Macero, and Teddy Charles -- all of whom contribute some great charts to a set of tracks that includes "Swinging Goatsherd Blues", "East Hampton Blues", "Blues In The Night", "Night Crawlers", and "Blues For Amy".

This is another "essential" album ... I can't say enough about the great arrangements, and wonderful musicianship on this gem!

I do hope that it has been remastered in some way .. or at least "cleaned up" .. my CDR from my original LP is a little scratchy!

Also, here is another Fresh Sounds release is worth getting .... wonderful interplay between the musicians on all cuts, particularly "Somebody Loves Me" ... WOW! This original 10" album was a constant on my crummy little plastic LP player back in the mid-fifties .....

newMaynard Ferguson -- Hollywood Jam Sessions . . . CD . . . $12.99 (Item: 383481)

Emarcy/Fresh Sound (Spain), 1954 Condition: New Copy View Cart View image

Here's an album that will forever change your mind about Maynard Ferguson -- as it features some excellent jam session material from the trumpeter's early years -- all recorded with some of the best players on the LA scene at the time! The CD features 4 long tracks that were recorded for the Emarcy label in 1954 -- and done in a style that was quite unusual for jazz recording at the time, no matter what the label. Ferguson's working here with 2 different groups that include Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Bob Cordon, Russ Freeman, Herb Geller, Shelly Manne, and Milt Berhart -- all working through tunes that push the 15 minute mark, and offer up a heck of a lot more solo space than any other west coast studio recordings of the same time. It's great to hear these players really open up in the setting -- especially the saxophonists -- and Ferguson's own work on trumpet and valve trombone is pretty darn great as well. Titles include "Night Letter", "Somebody Loves Me", "Air Conditioned", and "Love Is Here To Stay".

Just another way to spend your hard-earned cash ... better than $5.00 double chocolate vanilla lattes at Starbucks!

I should have checked the spelling copied and pasted directly from the DG site.. it is Bill Russo .. and Bob Gordon on the second album. But to be fair to DG, they did spell the name Bill Russo correctly in the first sentence ...

Edited by garthsj