Any iPod users out there?

J Larsen

How does one update the playlists on an iPod without deleting songs that you've removed from your computer? My instruction book says that you do it by choosing "update selected playlists only" in the iPod preferences menu, but to get that menu I have to plug in the iPod to my computer which automatically starts the auto update which erases all songs no longer on my harddrive. I don't have 30 GB of harddrive space to devote to AAC files on my computer. Anyone know what to do?

Well, seeing as it's been deleting songs from my iPod all night, I'm not too happy with it at the moment. Except for this very annoying feature, the iPod itself is fine. Not the best sound quality in the world, but perfectly fine for a portable device.

Guest GregM

So you can play only itunes on the ipod, or can you play any MP3? Frankly I hope it dies a quick death because I see it as a threat to uncompressed digital audio, but I'm sorry it's giving you problems.

Okay, I figured out a solution to my problem. You have to plug the iPod into your Mac, double click on the iPod icon in iTunes, click on the iPod icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen that pops up after that double click, and then select "manually manage songs". It sucks that I accidently erased anout 10 cds before figuring this out, but that's life I guess. I'm not too impressed with the clarity of the instruction manual on this issue, but on the other hand I've always had short patience for user manuals.

Greg, I'll try to post a better review of iTunes in a few days after I've worked with it a bit more. I very rarely listen to music on my computer.

Greg, iTunes is the Mac program that, among other things, allows your computer to talk to your iPod. It can also be used for importing music to your harddrive in the form of AAC, MP3, or Wav files (actually I think it supports one or two other formats as well). However, you can choose any other program to import music files to your hard drive, you just need iTunes to get the files from your harddrive to your iPod. Personally, I don't mind the somewhat reduced sound quality for a portable device. You're subject to so much external noise when you're on the go that I don't really see the point in using a huge amount of memory to get hi-fi quality sound.