Phillyissimo meeting for Eric Alexander ?

felser

I am, although not sure yet which of the 2 shows. I was actually thinking about trying to hit the earlier show, and then making the Christian McBride/Odean Pope/Ravi Coltrane concert at the Kimmel Center later that evening. Pretty full night of jazz, huh? McBride's group includes Ron Blake of Organissimo's "Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters" fame. But either way, I'll definitely be at one of the Alexander shows. More details to come. Do you know which one you're attending?

I am, although not sure yet which of the 2 shows.  I was actually thinking about trying to hit the earlier show, and then making the Christian McBride/Odean Pope/Ravi Coltrane concert at the Kimmel Center later that evening.  Pretty full night of jazz, huh?  McBride's group includes Ron Blake of Organissimo's "Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters" fame.  But either way, I'll definitely be at one of the Alexander shows.  More details to come.  Do you know which one you're attending?

Plan to go to both of them, and just eat dinner there inbetween. Since the shows are free with museum admission, I'm assuming I wouldn't have to pay twice. Alan, can you confirm if you see this post?

That sounds like a great idea--and certainly cheaper than my idea. The only problem is that you'll have just 30 minutes between shows to eat. But that's definitely something to consider, and maybe we can get Alan and Chalupa--and anyone else who's interested--to join us for the whole thing.

Plan to go to both of them, and just eat dinner there inbetween.  Since the shows are free with museum admission, I'm assuming I wouldn't have to pay twice.  Alan, can you confirm if you see this post?

The shows are included with the entrance fee. There's no separate ticket.

You could probably eat at the show, as long as you can get a table. They have a cafe set up (at the bottom of the great stairs) with table service and a limited food & drink menu.

I'll be there (assuming that the logistics work out).

Too bad!  I hadn't realized until I looked at Alan's site just now that Harold Mabern will be playing with Eric tonight. :excited:  :tup

Hopefully we'll see you at the next Phillyissimo event. :rolleyes:

That's weird--Mabern shows up on the attachment to the Jazzmatazz Philly Jazz Concerts email I received this morning, but not on the web site. I'm hoping this means that he's a last minute addition--or that Alan just found out about him :P --and the site hasn't been updated.

Great show, great company. Nice to meet Ron S and Alan. Alexander played beautifully, Mabern was wonderful, John Weber on bass and Willie Jones on drums were an outstanding rhythm section. Jones played with a tiny set, no toms, but was all over it, sort of like Roy Snap Crackle Haynes. First set was "Where or When", "Wave", "It's Magic","This Here", "Sugar", and "With a Song In My Heart". Second set was, if my ears caught it all correctly, "How Insensitive", "Traneing In", "It's All in the Game", "Listen Here", "Naima", and "Cherokee". Alexander has an exquisite tone, plays a ballad like no one else, and is all over the changes on the uptempo items. Mabern remains a very inventive pianist, and his after-song announcements and stories were fascinating. Chalupa, you shoulda been there!

What felser said. :tup Terrific show, and it was great to meet felser and Mrs. f, and spend time with them and Alan. If you get a chance to see Alexander and/or Mabern play, do it! Alexander (and presumably Mabern et al) will be back in Philly for a couple of nights at Chris' Jazz Cafe in February, and Alexander told me after the show that he'll also be appearing at Chris' in March with Pat Martino--that should be a wonderful show, and one I intend not to miss.

Incidentally, for those who will be in New York, Alexander and company (including Mabern on piano and Webber on bass again) will be appearing at Dizzy's Club at Jazz at Lincoln Center on November 22-27 with special guest . . . (drum roll) . . . VON FREEMAN. :excited: Having seen Freeman and Alexander/Mabern separately over the past few weeks, I know that's a combination not to be missed.