NIGHT by Abercrombie

jazzhound

Some of Abercrombie's most beautiful playing can be heard on two Kenny Wheeler discs - 'Music for Large and Small Ensembles' and 'The Widow in the Window' from the early 90s.

If you want to hear him with Hammer try 'Timeless' from the mid-70s.

I'd also support Jazzhound's 'Homecoming' recommendation.

His recent discs on ECM are also impressive - 'Cat'n Mouse' and 'Open Land'

This is an average album - maybe a little better than average, but it was notable as it was a 10-year reunion of a band from a GREAT album - "Timeless" from 1974 (also on ECM): Abercrombie, Hammer, and DeJohnette. They added Mike Brecker for Night.

Now, "Timeless" is a killer - don't let anyone ever bullshit you about ECM not having burning records. Try "Lungs" or "Red and Orange" - absolutely red hot. Jan Hammer plays wonderfully throughout on organ, piano, and Minimoog. Some points are clearly the progressive organ trio (a la Lifetime) sound. Then there are other acoustic tracks that balance things nicely. Best record I've ever heard from Abercrombie. Great tunes, great playing, a real high-water mark.

Mike

The Abercrombie to get with Hammer(and Dejohnette)is his ECM debut,Timeless,from 74-Night adds Brecker for a few cameos but the spark from the earlier album isn't there,worth hearing but check out the original set first if you haven't already.All 4 Gateway albums are good(2 from the 70's and two 90's reunion sets)In The Moment contains the looser moments from the same sessions as Homecoming.

Incidentally if you like Abercrombie with organ,there are 3 sessions with Dan Wall and Adam Nussbaum-While We're Young,Speak Of The Devil and Tactics.All again on ECM,the latter is a live set and my pick of the bunch.There were also two Hendrix tributes with Lonnie Smith from the late 90's but I never got to those.

Would love that attachment with audio!

I think 3 posts came at once above-the word really is get "Timeless" in your basket first.I can only agrre again with Bev's excellent taste-the two latest are crackers-Abercrombie's hit a real purple patch these last few years,his recent work with Charles Lloyd underlines the fact.

Would love that attachment with audio!

I think 3 posts came at once above-the word really is get "Timeless" in your basket first.I can only agrre again with Bev's excellent taste-the two latest are crackers-Abercrombie's hit a real purple patch these last few years,his recent work with Charles Lloyd underlines the fact.

I wish that Mutley had audio on it. That would be fun.

I'll start looking for Timeless. He seems like a very interesting player.

:rhappy:

I've been a big fan of Abercrombie's since his earliest days at ECM. I'm pretty biased, but I dig all of his various periods and ensembles from Gateway to the solo stuff (Characters) to the organ trios to his work with Lloyd. Cat N Mouse and Open Land are excellent.

I agree that "Timeless" is fine, but can I just put in a word for "Electricity" by by Bob Brookmeyer? This is a kind of orchestral fusion record (sounds unpromising...) with Abercrombie as main soloist and the WDR Big Band doing the ensembles. I find this a totally inspiring record and play it often.

Abercrombie is scorching, perfect for the setting - for me a very "up" record.

Simon Weil

I agree that "Timeless" is fine, but can I just put in a word for "Electricity" by by Bob Brookmeyer? This is a kind of orchestral fusion record (sounds unpromising...) with Abercrombie as main soloist and the WDR Big Band doing the ensembles. I find this a totally inspiring record and play it often.

Abercrombie is scorching, perfect for the setting - for me a very "up" record.

Simon Weil

Thanks Simon,I'll look out for the Brookmeyer.I'm with you on the unpromising sounding "orchestral fusion" as a concept,but J.A. pops up in similar waters on Vince Mendoza's "Epiphany" on Zebra-a gorgeous set with Brecker,M./Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor/Marc Johnson and Pete Erskine as the core band plus the London Symphony Orchestra-the saxman even sounds as if there's substance under the sheen(don't get me wrong he's a class player and I like him but I'm in the "he ain't got soul" camp.

Incidentally I rate Mendoza too,even if he can be a little sweet-his two Blue Note sets are masterclasses in the art of fusion .

Thanks Simon,I'll look out for the Brookmeyer.I'm with you on the unpromising sounding "orchestral fusion" as a concept,but J.A. pops up in similar waters on Vince Mendoza's "Epiphany" on Zebra-a gorgeous set with Brecker,M./Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor/Marc Johnson and Pete Erskine as the core band plus the London Symphony Orchestra-the saxman even sounds as if there's substance under the sheen(don't get me wrong he's a class player and I like him but I'm in the "he ain't got soul" camp.

Incidentally I rate Mendoza too,even if he can be a little sweet-his two Blue Note sets are masterclasses in the art of fusion .

Sounds intriguing, Green Dolphin. I've been a big fan of Pat Metheny's "Secret Story" even with the synthetic strings (You get used to them), so maybe I ought to give this a try. I don't know anything about Mendoza, though...

I'm not the biggest Brecker fan either.

Simon Weil