Blindfold Covers

A Lark Ascending

Some of these will probably not be compiled in 2004. If you actually want to use the covers (for me these are just a pasttime activity while listening to some good tunes and relaxing inbetween workloads), I can repost them with a different date. Just PM me when the time comes.

Cheers!

Would anyone mind if I opened a separate thread with cover designs? I make these all the time.

Edited by deus62

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couw, I was a bit slow with all the BFT stuff at first. I just started stuyding the respective threads in detail a week or two ago. If you still have a copy, mind sending me one? I could PM you my address (and even send you the postage etc. for it ... just let me know).

Thanks for the album covers praise (that also goes for the other people above in this thread). Once I'm on the roll I produce one of these every twenty minutes or so. Once in a while I just do a quick imitation of some Blue Note covers, other times I'm just inspired by listening to some CD. #10 above, for example, I cooked up last night after I had read an interview online with an ECM artist. I remembered their subdued covers, downloaded a shadow pic from photocase.de quickly and put that one through the Photoshop mill for something like three minutes.

Once I've completed a more comprehensive run of covers in this size (I have no idea if they will work with any the cover software progs out there ... I just used some Kylie Minogue cover [sorry, first one that popped up] from some cover scan site as a basis, size-wise).

I might make some covers at a higher dpi resolution in the future with a lot more care applied in the design and work process. They will take more time. I just went through my two Blue Note cover books again and they are just endlessly inspiring. Damn, they made some fine covers over the years.

couw ... mind telling me a bit about yourself in a PM? NE Germany? Where, why, how, when, and why not?

Cheers!

PS: I'm just listening to Fathead by David Newman (Atlantic) and there's lots of orange on the cover ... and in the music. I think I can feel a cover coming on ... :g

Edited by deus62

What printer settings are needed to print out the covers in CD size? When I print them now, they end up 8" x 8". Do I need to reduce them first using photoshop (or any other pic editor) or is this a printer "problem?" If reducing them, does anyone know what measurements (pixel size?) to use?

Hi RDK,

it really depends how you print covers. There are programs out there which will just automatically downsize any image to the cover size.

What I do is this:

I use Pagemaker (you can also use word or any other word processing prog). I set up a CD cover (guides which outline the final size of the thing the way I want it printed out), insert the image and size it so it fits into the guide grid. Then I print it.

I'm sure there are freeware programs (mostly without much comfort when it comes to adding extravagant layout details) out there, which will produce simple but perfect covers, inlays etc. for you without you having to do much. Just check online with the usual download sites.

Or does anyone have a good link? I won't have time to check these next few days, but maybe someone else can. Would be great to have a link to a decent cover-printing program in this thread. A free or careware one.

Cheers!

check out this thread

if you only want the cover, simply import it into a Wordprocessing programme and resize it. In MSWord, open a new document, click on [insert], [graphics], [from file] and select the pic you want to have. When it's inserted, double click it and a menu opens. Select the size tab and resize to 12x12 cm (or equivalent in inches). Print, et voilĂ .

If you want to make a booklet to fold, with some text on the back, you'll have to change the layout settings of the image. Double click the image and the menu pops up. Select the layout tab, and then [fitting]. Click [OK] You can now drop and drag the image. Add a textfield of the same size and layout settings ([insert], [textfield] click on page and press enter, double click the grey border of the square and the menu pops up again]and write in it what you want in. Set up the page across ([file], [page set-up]), i.e. that is broader than high (I don't know how this is called in English, sorry for that). Drop and drag textfield and image to fit besides eachother. Selecting either image or textfield and pressing down [control] and using the arrow keys you can move one pixel at a time.

There's an example in the thread linked above.

I am working on booklets for the previous BFTs (and my own) at the moment, with all the relevant info. The first two are finished. If you can be patient, I will post them soon. I don't have all the info together for BFT4 though.