Michael Weiss @Ortlieb's, Philly

Michael Weiss

Thanks for asking. Aside from a piano that needs lots of work, it was very enjoyable. The rhythm section was really first rate: bassist Madison Rast and drummer Dan Monaghan. Not only did they learn my music, but they played their ass off too.

they only have one ass between them?!? :lol:

does Mickey Roker still play at that club?

they only have one ass between them?!? :lol:
They were joined at the hip!

does Mickey Roker still play at that club?
I know that he used to. A regular I met there said he doesn't come out so often anymore.

Good crowds in Philly?
Unfortunately, to my surprise, it wasn't advertised. The gig was part of a masterclass I gave earlier in the day at Temple University's jazz department, who have their own weekly night at the club. So it was mostly students and a few regulars in the house.

Ortlieb's has always been a great place to go for some top notch playing. Depending on the days, there are great crowds there. The food is real good and the house band has always been slammin' (sid simmons, pno; mike boone, bass; byron landham, drums)

My beef started a few months after the new owners took over. To me they don't seem to get as many NY cats, or other out of town folks to headline like they used to. Guys such as Bootsie Barnes, John Swana and Mickey Roker haven't played in a while there. They also don't publicize and advertise in the free Philly rags like they used to, however their site does give good info.

I go there still, along with Chris' Cafe, right in Center City. I bring my horn to the Sunday night Jam Session at Ortliebs', formerly led by trumpeter Roger Prieto. He was recently replaced by another local cat, Ernest Stuart. I believe that's what caused the delay in getting the calendar printed and the website updated. As of now it looks to be squared away.

Hey Weizen, when are you coming to Philly? I wouldn't mind cracking a beer with another board member if it won't be imposing on any plans of yours when you are here.

Later,

Bill

Edited by Templejazz

Thanks for asking. Aside from a piano that needs lots of work, it was very enjoyable. The rhythm section was really first rate: bassist Madison Rast and drummer Dan Monaghan. Not only did they learn my music, but they played their ass off too.

Dan Monaghan is a motherf'r on drums and always has been. I went to Temple and remember his senior recital. Off the charts killin'! I know Terell will be at Ortlieb's at the end of the month and I can't wait. I studied with him and have always been in awe of his playing.

Incidentally, I remember when Pete Souders still owned the joint there was a fund I believe set up between he and pianist Orrin Evans to replace that damn piano on the bandstand. I don't believe the goal was ever reached. <_<

Hi Michael. I was checking out guitarist Matt Davis' group at Chris' Cafe. Since I quit a really agonizing and grueling office job a couple months ago to concentrate more on my playing, I've gone out a bit more than in the past.

From today's Inquirer....

South Philadelphia native actress Linda Fiorentino (Remember "The Last Seduction"?) was among a large dinner party at Franco Borda's High Note Cafe (13th & Tasker) last night celebrating the opening of Chazz Palminteri's one-man show "A Bronx Tale," which plays the Merriam through Nov. 23. Sandwich mogul Tony Luke, Jr. was also a guest in the party hosted by local actor/producer Frank Sisto. While in town we hear Palminteri will visit Tony Luke's South Jersey home for a private screening of "The Nail: The Joey Nardone Story," in which Luke plays an amateur boxer and ex-con....On Wednesday night, Jersey funnyman Joe Piscopo brought Palminteri and a few other friends the other night at Chris’ Jazz Cafe (1421 Sansom) to catch the Matt Davis Quintet.