Archeophone Records

papsrus

I've been enjoying this for a week or so now.

Lovely release, great music, but ...

I'm a fan of this era's jazz, but I'm hardly an anorak for it. Yet, without even going to the racks and perusing That Devilin' Tune, the four-volume From Ragtime To Jazz series on Timeless and a few other comps, I already know that I have at least 15 or so of the 40 tracks, so I wonder a bit about who they're aiming this at.

I didn't quick comparisons of the Halfway House and Parenti tracks with the Jazz Oracle and Frog CDs, respectively; like the new release versions better but there wasn't a lot in it, and I didn't feel I was missing anything with the earlier reissues. Have just listened to the Ory instrumentals, and they DO sound great - so maybe the Halfway House/Parenti tunes are pretty good on my earlier purchases.

Hadn't heard the Hightower tracks before, so they really stand out. I also liked the Billy & Mary Mack cuts with Punch Miller. Not normally the sort of thing I enjoy, but these are a gas. I dig the Johnny De Troit cuts a bunch, too.

The spoken word cuts are nice first and second time 'round, but now I'm simply skipping them.

Edited by kenny weir

• 9 years later...

I'm listening now to Archeophone's "1912" release, and am stunned by the excellent, transparent sound quality of these very early recordings.  In the booklet, under "Notes on Technology," they write: "Transfers on this CD were made directly from the original discs by microprocessor computing at 16-bit sampling rates."  Since that's all they wrote, I'm left to wonder: have they found a way to transfer recordings without the use of a stylus?  I'm guessing not, but who knows.

51egk2q3G6L.jpg

• 8 months later...