A Reedman Reaches for His Roots

On his new album "Apex" (Pi Recordings), alto saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa investigates his American roots with the same attention to detail that he brought to "Kinsmen," his mesmerizing 2008 recording that deftly fused jazz with the Carnatic music of his South Asian heritage and won him numerous accolades and awards. From Thursday to Sunday at Jazz Standard, Mr. Mahanthappa and fellow alto saxophonist Bunky Green will lead the quintet heard on "Apex," which also features the stellar rhythm section of pianist Jason Moran, bassist François Mouton and drummer Jack DeJohnette.

Mr. Mahanthappa, 39, who grew up in Colorado and lives in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, was a junior at Boston's Berklee College of Music in 1991 when a teacher gave him a tape of Mr. Green's "Places We've Never Been" (Vanguard). The student was floored. "His playing was so modern, yet with a full scope of jazz history," Mr. Mahanthappa said. "Some of his vocabulary came from non-Western influences and some of it from 20th-century classical music, too. He's really been a role model for me in many ways."

More here:

WSJ

Anyone going to see Rudresh & Bunky at the Jazz Standard in NYC? They're playing tonight thru Sunday (started last night).

I want to go but can't convince the wife to join me - I might just go stag and maybe meet up with some other organissimo forum members...

Edited by tjluke68