Alyn Shipton's 'Jazz Library' now archived

Not relevant to the thread title but fits with some of the meandering here...

Did anyone watch the David Hare drama 'Page Eight' last night? Quite slight overall but some marvellous performances.

But there was lots of jazz in it - a Dankworthesque opening sequence, a scene where Billy Nighy shows a young woman the Lester Young/Billie Holiday film from the late 50s and later buys her a Young CD. And the marvellous line when an angry ex-wife turns to Nighy in a crisis and barks words to the effect of: 'You're no use. You listen to jazz.'

I saw that last night. A rare oasis of quality TV amongst the dross.

The performances were excellent and more than made up for the thin story line.

Not relevant to the thread title but fits with some of the meandering here...

Did anyone watch the David Hare drama 'Page Eight' last night? Quite slight overall but some marvellous performances.

But there was lots of jazz in it - a Dankworthesque opening sequence, a scene where Billy Nighy shows a young woman the Lester Young/Billie Holiday film from the late 50s and later buys her a Young CD. And the marvellous line when an angry ex-wife turns to Nighy in a crisis and barks words to the effect of: 'You're no use. You listen to jazz.'

Missed it but will try and catch on the iPlayer tonight. Bill Nighy is always worth watching. Thanks for the heads up re: 'Playing Against Time' Bev, I've been waiting for this to be released for ages. Jon H mentioned in the JL programme that Barbara had entered a new phase of her illness and it was therefore uncertain as to whether she could still perform with Colosseum for much longer.

I've got an 80s video recording from a short-lived BBC series called 'A Little Night Music' which features Barbara in her prime with Neal Ardley, on all manners of synths.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love to be able to see My Name Is Albert Ayler, which Lovefilm can't supply. Not that I suspect a conspiracy! :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/movie/111937/my.name.is.albert.ayler

Will this ever see the light of day on DVD? I emailed the folks at http://mynameisalbertayler.com/ and the producer himself replies that it'd be available in mere months. That was two years ago.