Q on the Jimmy Scott "Falling In Love Is Wonderful" Rhino CD

jdw

I just found the limited edition 2002 Rhino Handmade CD of Jimmy Scott "Falling In Love Is Wonderful" at a used record shop. This album was recorded in 1963 for Ray Charles' "Tangerine" label - the Rhino CD was the first-ever legal reissue.

My question: my copy of this CD switches instantly from wide stereo to mono about 30 seconds from the end of the last track, "Sunday, Monday Or Always." The fidelity also drops quite a bit (the mono section sounds like it could be a needle-drop). This audio anomaly isn't mentioned in the CD liner notes and I can't find mention of it anywhere on the web. Discogs.com does show that both Rhino UK and Rhino Germany also reissued this CD in 2002, though in slightly different packaging as compared to the US Ltd. Edition Rhino Handmade CD.

Does anyone know if all the Rhino CDs (US Handmade, Rhino UK, Rhino Germany) have this stereo-to-mono flip on the last track? Just curious.

Thanks for any info on this.

John

Vancouver BC

Edited by jdw

Thanks for your help, guys.

very strange. my copy, which i purchased in vienna and is on rhino handmade (made in germany) has no such drop out or anomoly at all....

As you've said, very strange. A friend just e-mailed me back with info about the version of this CD he owns. His states "Made In Germany" in small print on the back cover, but it DOES switch to mono at the end. His CD's artwork has the numbers from the UPC code (81236432) where normally a Reprise Catalog number would be. Discogs.com shows this UPC/Catalogue number is the same for the Rhino UK CD and Rhino Germany CD.

Thanks for your help.

John

Vancouver BC