Why are the reputations of US composers so pianissimo?

Ok, 2008, so did not have the time/money to make that trip and book those hotels.

We got a bigass country here, from sea to shining seal, and the length of the Mississippi, and did you know that Central Expressway (US75) runs from Minnestoa (iirc) all the way down to Galveston (iirc)? But hell, it takes all day just to drive across Texas, ok, and then you're still in Texas, which is not Tanglewood, so hooray for one thing one time in one place, but, no, more is needed, more times, more places, its a bigass country.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly do know that it costs time as well as money to attend events. Music festivals do serve this purpose though of concentrating events and enabling vacation-style planning. It costs money, time, and you need to be able-bodied, and not everyone has all three. All I want to say is that the stuff is out there. Though whether anywhere can match London for music I'm not so sure... ;)

Yeah, it's out there. But there is so much MORE of so much OTHER stuff out there. Dallas is not a Musical Epicenter, but it is a Major Metropolitan Area with an Emerging World Class Orchestra. I have no problem hearing Brahms & Mozart & All That, which is wonderful. Our band is doing Mahler regularly & is gradually shifting the paradigm more towards late 19th/Early 20th Centuries (crrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaakkkkkk) but my point is not that it's not being done, it's that it's being done too infrequently in too few places, and yes, I'm just bitching, but I am also buying tickets and making "more of that, please" phone calls about good modern stuff when it happens, but there is the old Catch 22 at work, people come to see what they know and they know what they come to see.

I'd not want to live in London, I'd not mind spending a summer or something there, but you know, there is an audience for more modern music of all types here. A small one, but it's real. But getting people out of the house is a bitch, and things are so spread out here and people so disinclined to cross zip and area codes...it's our own fault, really, but still, saying "it's out there" is hardly a remediation of the issue. I don't know what is, but that's not.

Just not enough pimping going on.

Yes of course, this is a complex culture which requires a lot to sustain it. Until it comes, you may well have to travel, same as you do for the Guggenheim.

meanwhile I was just checking out the upcoming London Sinfonietta season ---

https://issuu.com/londonsinfonietta/docs/1617_season_brochure_for_issuu

in fact they discuss questions about support and audiemce in the brochure.

Road show. Not concert tours, road shows. I mean, those freaking 3 Deaf Tenors things draw the peoples in droves. Not looking for a drove. Or too much of a drive for that matter, have car will drive, but c'mon, I've made my pilgrimages, by and large.

Somebody gotta be rich enough, crazy enough, and need that much of a tax break to do a Road show, American Music, I got spurs that jingo jungle jingle.

"Culture" and culture don't know each other these days. Sombodies gotta start pimping, because lord knows people respond to that. We're not talking opera-glass Lincolns either, just a nice hat and suit, don't get greedy.

Yep. The Nasher Soundings series is mostly very worthy. Didn't subscribe last year because of a little too much emphasis on "cabaret" type things for my taste, but did go to single shows, and have subscribed in the past. Definitely going to subscribe this year, putting my money where my ears are (and you now, free your mind - and buy your tickets - and your ass will follow).