Sarah Vaughan & Roland Hanna

Mark Stryker

Tripped over this today while trying to nail down exactly how much time Roland Hanna spent working with Sarah Vaughan:  "Soft and Sassy," a CD that appears to have come out in the early 90s and features material apparently recorded in Los Angeles in 1961.Roland Hanna, Richard Davis, Percy Brice. http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/40535/sarah-vaughan/soft-and-sassy-1961

Anybody know any specifics about this -- an unreleased session made for Roulette, the label Sarah was recording for at the time? The only other recorded document I can find with Roland and Sarah is her 1982 LP on Pablo, "Crazy and Mixed Up." Anything else out there that I don't know about? Any other hard evidence about how much time he spent in her trio back in the early '60s?

According to the liners (Todd Everett), this material was recorded as part of "The Navy Swings" public service series.  

Davis and Brice were part of her touring group at the time.  Everett also states:  "...Hanna was a ringer for the session, but a man who on numerous occasions would relax his usual reluctance to accompany singers.  Sarah was such an exception."

Edited by Jim R

2 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks much for this info. Appreciate it. What exactly was "The Navy Swings"? I gather these were used for recruitment, but how?

A good question, which I've never researched.  A quick web search turned up this, which at least gives a rough explanation (find the highlighted text, then scroll):

https://books.google.com/books?id=qstIu-I9N-sC&pg=PA182&dq=%22The+Navy+Swings%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirqKakuaTRAhXjzlQKHdg7ALEQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Navy%20Swings%22&f=false

Good old-fashioned sponsorship/advertising, it would seem.