George Onslow

papsrus

Sometimes described as the French Beethoven (perhaps more by contemporaries than in hindsight), Onslow's compositions are more chromatic than LVB and written (in the quartets at least) with an eye toward featuring the fist violinist as a soloist. There's an almost jazz-like feel to the approach. 

I was listening to a disc of his early quartets (Nos. 9, 10 and 21) performed by Quatour Ruggieri earlier tonight and it prompted me to look around to see what else was available. Not a whole lot in the jungle, but some later quartets, piano trios, quintets and the like. He also composed four symphonies and three operas. The music from one of the operas -- "Guise Ou Les Etates De Blois" -- is available arranged for string quartet.

There's also some violin sonatas and wind pieces. But the bulk of what seems to be available is the string quartets.

So, not knowing a whole lot beyond that, I'm kind of intrigued by this guy. I've had the Quatour Ruggieri disc above for sometime, but never really "heard" it until today. Just hadn't listened to it enough prior to tonight. Or wasn't paying attention, or something.

So I scooped up a couple more discs today, the opera arranged for string quartet among them. 

Edited by papsrus

• 4 months later...