wirecutter.com

GA Russell

I visited Wirecutter yesterday for the first time in quite a while, and they seemed to have changed their premise.

Looking at turntables in the past, their reviews expressed to me the attitude, "This is a great buy for the price.  And here is a big step up for only an extra hundred dollars."

Yesterday, what I saw said to me, "This is decent enough for people who don't really care."

Has anyone else noticed this?

Can't say I've noticed that, although I also can't say I'd spent much time looking at their turntable recommendations before. Assuming this is the guide you were looking at:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

a Rega Planar 1 strikes me as a pretty solid upgrade recommendation for people who are relatively new to vinyl and are interested in something significantly better than a crappy Crosley. And they do title their guide "The Best Turntable for Casual LIstening", which is a pretty strong indication their target audience isn't going to be seasoned audiophiles.