Russ Garcia's Porgy and Bess Arrangements

Teasing the Korean

I never had the Ella and Louis Porgy and Bess album until I received as a gift last year the complete Ella and Louis box set.  

Now playing for the first time Porgy and Bess, and imagine my surprise to learn that the arrangements are by Thee Great Russ Garcia!

I love Garcia's nod to George Duning in "I Want to Stay Here" during the overture.  

I can only wish that Garcia arranged Ella's Cole Porter and Rodgers and Hart songbooks. 

TtK,

Have you heard Garcia's arrangements on Satch's Louis Under the Stars and I've Got the World on a String?  Verve reissued them both in a two-disc set.  If you're a fan of Garcia's arranging (and Pops' singing! ;)), then you might want to check 'em out -- if you haven't heard them already.

I was hipped to this music by author Will Friedwald in one of his book about jazz singing. IIRC, they are some of his all-time favorite records.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

TtK,

Have you heard Garcia's arrangements on Satch's Louis Under the Stars and I've Got the World on a String?  Verve reissued them both in a two-disc set.  If you're a fan of Garcia's arranging (and Pops' singing! ;)), then you might want to check 'em out -- if you haven't heard them already.

I was hipped to this music by author Will Friedwald in one of his book about jazz singing. IIRC, they are some of his all-time favorite records.

I did not know about these.  I admittedly do not have much Satch in my haphazard music accumulation.  I will add these to my list, but after moving all those LPs and CDs last year, I have for the most part sworn off buying new stuff.  Of course, that will end at some point. ;)  I'll see if they are on the InterTubes.