Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost of miles

“Dolphy ‘63”

5 posts in this topic

Last week’s Night Lights show, which highlights some of the newly-reissued 1963 studio recordings as well as live performances featuring Herbie Hancock and the music of Gunther Schuller, is now up for online listening:

Dolphy ‘63

Nice to see you drawing attention to Dolphy, David. In the early sixties when I was in my early twenties Dolphy was a very big name among the jazz listening community, yet we seem to hear surprisingly little of him nowadays, while other long departed musicians still get a great deal of attention. 

58 minutes ago, BillF said:

Nice to see you drawing attention to Dolphy, David. In the early sixties when I was in my early twenties Dolphy was a very big name among the jazz listening community, yet we seem to hear surprisingly little of him nowadays, while other long departed musicians still get a great deal of attention. 

It's interesting is't it? Are changes of taste a factor? I for one used to love Dolphy but now feel averse to him. That's just me, but I wonder

Similarly big in the early sixties was Roland Kirk. We paid as much attention to him as to Coltrane at the time of A Love Supreme, but compare their images today!