New ones from the Bad Plus and Brad Mehldau

Stefan Wood

I wasn't aware of a new Mehldau release but I'll buy it because I find him infinitely listenable. Soul? Well, that's a tough one. I think he has it, others may not. But that doesn't concern me. Swing? Again I think he can swing with the best pianists, and there was a time when people thought Bill Evans didn't swing.

I wasn't raised on a diet of hard-bop schooled pianists in that respect; I came to Mehldau quite early in my jazz enjoyment so maybe he isn't quite the Duke Pearson or Wynton but there is sufficient for me to get my feet tapping at times. Obviously you want more out of music that foot tapping though.

I do look forward to his now expected 'pop' cover. And up to now they've all been tunes that I thought were fantastic as pop tunes. Come the day he does a 'Clash' or 'Buzzcocks' cover, then I'll reassess :P

I do feel though that he'll be considered a living legend in time.

My two bob.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought and loved These Are The Vistas, but don't have the BP's new one. I doubt I will get it. I have listened to it a bunch of times in the store, but I'll echo Stephan's words by agreeing that it sounded like more of the same. I'd like to see them live, but I can live without this CD. Maybe next time they will do something different. -- easier said than done though (I liked their first album because I thought that sounded different!).