AOTW: Ideas for logistically difficult ones...

Rooster_Ties

Post your ideas here, in this thread.

Since I'm the poll-meister, in a week or three, I'll take the top 10 ideas we come up with, create a poll, and we can vote on which one we want to do first. This will require some sort of CDR-tree, or at the very least a tape-tree. Could be a ton of fun!!!

( I've got some ideas myself, but wanted to get this thread started first, and not color the discussion by putting my ideas up front. )

PS: By "gray-market", I mean bootleg material (usually recorded live), and otherwise not available comercially - except maybe in Italy back in the early 90's. ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

How about both of Kenny Cox's obscure Blue Note albums, from 1968 and 1969 - Introducing Kenny Cox and Multidirection. (If you only clicked on the first one, there's an actual full AMG review for "Multidirection".)

Both would fit on one CD (perhaps with at most 30 seconds of music trimmed off).

Both feature Leon Henderson on tenor, who is Joe Henderson's brother.

Both albums are direct decedents of the Miles Davis "Sorcerer"/"Neffertiti" style of jazz. In fact, if you aurally 'squint' real hard, you might even think it was the group from Miles 2nd classic quintet, maybe on a bad day. (I don't mean that as a slam, but rather that they really are trying to fit into the "Miles in 1967" mode, and they do it reasonably darn well, IMHO.)

PS: Neither one of the Kenny Cox LP's have ever been released on CD, and I'm guessing they probably won't ever be either, sadly...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Of course, there's always Tyrone Washington's lone Blue Note album "Natural Essence", with Woody Shaw, James Spaulding, Kenny Barron, Reggie Workman, and Joe Chambers - from late 1967. It has been on CD (I think released in 1997), as a TOCJ from Japan, but is now out of print.

Then, I would suggest we also include Tyrone's even more obscure album "Roots" as bonus tracks, on the same CD. (Both would fit on one CD). I don't have the specifics of "Roots" handy, but I think it was recorded in about 1971 or 72, and is Tyrone backed by a piano trio. It's a very "in" and "out" kind of date, and I love it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have burns of all of Hill's BN output that has been released on LP, but not yet on CD --- meaning "Dance With Death" and the 2nd LP from "One For One" (the one not on the Hill Mosaic set).

My burns (which I got from some kind soul on the BNBB, I forget who - but I'm forever in their debt!!), anyway - my burns of these two albums came to me on two separate CDR's...

...BUT, I just checked - and much to my great surprise, both of these albums will fit (together) on the same CD!!! Together, they clock in at 79:09 (at least based on the times on my CDR's of them). That's just perfect to fit on one 80 minute CD.

Might make a good AOTW, both "DWD" and "OFO" together, no??? Just another idea on the table...

A couple "Charles Tolliver" suggestions...

Tolliver's own "Paper Man" (a.k.a. "Charles Tolliver & His All Stars"), from 1968 - Tolliver's first date as a leader. I must confess that I've never heard this album :unsure: (since it's never been released on CD, and I got's no turntable :( ). But, with a line-up that includes Herbie Hanckock, Ron Carter, Joe Chambers, and Gary Bartz -- this one's got to be a monster!!!

Alternately, I've been thinking about doing a compilation CDR with all of Tolliver's sideman appearances in the 60's, on tunes that Tolliver wrote himself. I figured this up once, and it came out to be about 60 minutes long, if I remember right.

Alas, I'm not aware of any really rare (i.e. 'bootleg') Tolliver material...

Edited by Rooster_Ties